Huge reserve of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kestas
Agreed. I think this kind of shoots down the "oil from dinosaurs and tropical forests" theory for earth.

Most oil started out as algae and small sea creatures, the biomass from such sources was vastly higher than for animals such as dinosaurs (the Sinclair sign notwithstanding) and even early forests.
I don't think the companies that extract oil and natural gas from the Earth have any doubts about this "theory".
The process of the development of the gas giants and their moons beyond the frost line was radically different than for the rocky planets like the Earth...I don't think Titan has that much to tell us about oil deposits on the Earth.

The freight to ship the hydrocarbons to earth would be kind of high ! :)

Other than a curiosity , can not see the news articular meaning much to us ?

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Most oil started out as algae and small sea creatures, the biomass from such sources was vastly higher than for animals such as dinosaurs (the Sinclair sign notwithstanding) and even early forests.

And since you need sun for photosynthesis for the algae to grow, can I say that my cars are solar powered?

Consider this. The earth continues to produce crude oil and nat. gas. Does anyone think it just stopped some time ago? I believe it is a continuing process.

Titan's methane based atmosphere has been known for nearly 60 yrs. Trouble on Titan by Alan E. Nourse - Goodreads pub date 1954 Pulp science fiction Read it in Jr High Must been a spectro-graphic telescope discovery
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by loneryder
Consider this. The earth continues to produce crude oil and nat. gas. Does anyone think it just stopped some time ago? I believe it is a continuing process.

I'm not sure it continues to produce it. Personally, I think what we pump out of the ground is a condensed form of hydrocarbon that is part of our plant's creation. Some planets have methane gas, our hydrocarbon is more dense and trapped underground.

I remember growing up in the late ‘60's early ‘70's
That the supply of oil would be gone by the end of the 20th century and we'd by flying around in George Jetson air craft
As we all know that ain't happening nor will happen anytime soon

Well, it can go away again - or at least be left in the ground untouched.
All it takes is policy change that is against oil and gas by certain drilling and stimulation methods.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Well, it can go away again - or at least be left in the ground untouched.
All it takes is policy change that is against oil and gas by certain drilling and stimulation methods.

4WD
Your a Texan
Are you old enough to remember when we were all told that the oil wells in Texas were gone ?
All dried up !

Is it true ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back