Hubcaps/Wheel Covers on your winter steel wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of year again. Not wanting to spend a ton of money on my winter setup this year, I opted for $11 each junkyard steel wheels I pulled myself for the MR2. 14s in the front (1993 camry) and 15s in the back (2004 camry). In the past I have always run cheap alloy wheels on my nicer cars or plain steel wheels on my beaters. This time around I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this doesn't look awful. Contemplating getting some hubcaps/wheel covers this go-round. Not to mention my rear axle nuts are exposed with the steel wheels. What do you guys think? Do you run hubcaps/wheel covers on your winter steel wheels?

Here is my summer setup just for comparison

Last edited:
Looks good to me without the hubcaps esp before seeing the summer setup. Normally I'd say put hubcaps on if it were a Corolla. But on that with the sport factor I'd just leave it and go for the rough rider look. Kind of like me when I don't shave on the weekend.

I have Blizzaks on steelies on my wife's Caravan. She says it looks like a taxi. I told her "car guys" know the real deal during winter and it looks cool. She thought I was [censored]-ing her, until she went to NJ to get gas (where it's the law it's full serve) and the gas station attendants were complimenting her on her "Blizzaks & steelies".

Now she knows the real deal too.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
I have Blizzaks on steelies on my wife's Caravan. She says it looks like a taxi. I told her "car guys" know the real deal during winter and it looks cool. She thought I was [censored]-ing her, until she went to NJ to get gas (where it's the law it's full serve) and the gas station attendants were complimenting her on her "Blizzaks & steelies".

I used to live by the same idea, and on my beaters (civics/corollas) I would never run hubcaps in the winter because it would alert fellow enthusiasts that I was running snow tires. I don't think I will have the same issue as any 'car-guy' who sees me driving my mint mr2 through a blizzard will know I'm either an enthusiast or not of right mind.
laugh.gif

You could try painting those steelies. That's what I did. Graphite would look great on your MR2. I used Duplicolor Wheel coating and didn't even sand them and it's held up great.

1204161019.jpg

I just thought of this too:

Will you be able to find matching 14 & 15" hubcaps?

Yeah, walmart/ a few auto parts store have matching 14 and 15 inch sets.

+1. It's a sign to others in the know that you have your [censored] together.

Don't try to polish the poo, revel in it

I usually go wheel coverless.

But I changed it up and went covers to keep the road spray off. They are solid.

I spray all the lugnuts, axle nuts etc with boeshield t-9 and let dry
it leaves a slightly waxy protective film behind.

They look like new after winter vs rusting.

The setup on my 2011 without covers that made me change.
This was 2 or 3 winters.
Pretty gross eh?
2014-03-14%2016.09.49.jpg

2014-03-14%2016.44.00.jpg

Vs new setup after 2 winters

tireracksteelwheel.jpg

Winter steelies were what I rocked in NJ back in the day. No hubcaps so easy to quick spray after a bad snow storm.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I've never heard of this stuff, after Googling it I want to get some!

bicycle shops sell the spray can version.

-------------------------------------
on my VW, I got the OE lug/hub cover this year.

20161202_163512_zpsgz6celun.jpg

The only downside of this stuff I could see is that if not allowed to cure completely before exposure to road salt, etc. its tackiness could actually attract and hold the salt, etc. to the wheels and nuts. Curing seems to take a good amount of time, especially in the cold. I have bare steelies and wish I had done this a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It's winter, go for winter performance rather than looks.

Agree. Everything eventually will get covered in salt dust, so who cares what the guy thinks of your wheels next to you at the stop light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back