HTPC build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the PC parts laying around, I decided to clobber up an HTPC. Components are a bit outdated, but one component that plays a big role in an HTPC is the video card. I don't have a case, but made a case using strong cardboard. It will be hidden behind the TV.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS P5N Deluxe nVidia 590i chipset
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
DVD-ROM drive (might go blu-ray)
PNY GeForce 210 w/ built in HDMI port
Generic power supply
Box case
Windows XP
Media Center Software: Media Portal

Enclosure
PICT0030.jpg

HDMI Output to TV. Video card has a built in sound chip allowing audio to go thorugh HDMI.
PICT0031.jpg

Crammed components all held by glue.
PICT0036.jpg

Finished installing WXP
PICT0032.jpg

Installing drivers.
PICT0033.jpg

Next is to install the media center software and install a remote control sensor so I can browse my media library by not sitting close to the TV.

I was really hoping the new Atom d510 would do 720p and flash/netflix/hulu. But now that the disappointing reviews are in, maybe I'll go down your route. That's a lot more processor/video than I was planning, but if you're ripping movies to the hard drive I think you'll be out of room there in a hurry.

I've been thinking about an HTPC for some time. Even got a video card but then it turns out I have to get a new MB, memory and such.

So the cheaper way may probably be getting a laptop with HDMI output when the current one croaks.

The easiest HTPC is a laptop connected to my 46in Samsung B750 LCD TV. I just leave the audio and video cord connected under the TV and then connect when I want to watch something.

There may be grounding issues with a cardboard box vs a metal chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back