Ht/Hs value of valvoline vr1 10w30 conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt find the ht/hs value anywhere so i emailed the company. Their reply.

The High Temp/High Shear for the Valvoline SAE 10w30 VR-1 Racing Oil is 3.17. Thank you very much for using our products.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Joe.
I have been wondering about this oil. I run it in my old GMC pickup with the 307 SBC, and in my riding mower.

3.1 seems pretty low, in fact biased on the low side of the 30 grade HTHS range.... for reference, this 10w30 "racing" HTHSV is lower than Redlines 0w30.

I'm not impressed. Appears VR1 oil is nothing but a mineral ILSAC 10w30 with heavier AW additives.

The syn 10w30 VR1 keeps my generator from knocking when it gets HOT - no ILSAC SN has done that repair.
NO pump and no filter require some oil muscle.

I used to run Rotella Triple Protection 10w30 but I don't see it anymore and Im not sure I like the semi-syn RT5 as much for what I use this stuff for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jrustles
I'm not impressed. Appears VR1 oil is nothing but a mineral ILSAC 10w30 with heavier AW additives.

Sometimes, that's all people want.

That's true. They'd be better off marketing it in a QS Defy category, rather than in their racing lineup IMO. I'd expect around at least ~3.3? cP HTHSV in anyone's racing 10w30, and that's still below the basic ACEA A3 standard.

My impression of VR1 is that it's VWB with extra ZDDP and maybe some friction modifiers. That makes it OK in my book. It has more ZDDP than Quacker State Defy. Realistically, the 30 grade runs from the 2.9 min HTHS to the min allowable HTHS of 3.5 for the lower 40-grades (0w40, 5w40, and 10w40). Not many 30's get above 3.5. Redline 5w30 is the only one I know of at 3.7. VR1 is at 3.17, which rounds to 3.2, so it's in the middle.

Last edited:
Yes, kinda like VR1 syn is Synpower with a little extra ZDDP, making it an API SL oil.
The synthetic is dyed a really pretty shade of blue, which was fun when pouring it into our '09 Forester rally car, as though my wife would really allow me to build such a thing for her to drive, or even for me to drive.
I did take advantage of the FAR offer on VR1 a few years back, though and the oil did end up in our stock NA Forester.
The OM says that you should run a 5W-30 API SM and then goes on to say that you can run just about any grade you can think of as long as it's at least API SL.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yes, kinda like VR1 syn is Synpower with a little extra ZDDP, making it an API SL oil.
The synthetic is dyed a really pretty shade of blue, which was fun when pouring it into our '09 Forester rally car, as though my wife would really allow me to build such a thing for her to drive, or even for me to drive.
I did take advantage of the FAR offer on VR1 a few years back, though and the oil did end up in our stock NA Forester.
The OM says that you should run a 5W-30 API SM and then goes on to say that you can run just about any grade you can think of as long as it's at least API SL.

Same here! I got two free cases of VR1 back then. My car per OM/FSM specs API SJ I think.

I use this oil in my 78 k20 with 350 sbc. I think this motor is pretty easy on oil. I used to run amsoil z rod 10w30. I might switch back because the price increase is not much with the preferred account.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
That's true. They'd be better off marketing it in a QS Defy category, rather than in their racing lineup IMO. I'd expect around at least ~3.3? cP HTHSV in anyone's racing 10w30, and that's still below the basic ACEA A3 standard.

Yep, that type of marketing would probably work, too, but I guess they have to walk a fine line to not step on MaxLife or hurt their own dedicated racing products, either. Next time you're in Walmart, take a peek at the pricing. If your neck of the woods is anything like here, the VR1 is as cheap (and sometimes cheaper) than other conventionals. Unfortunately, only 20w-50 is available there.

Oh, and speaking of strange oils in Canada, I came across some Joe Gibbs HR 10w-30 synthetic at a silent auction today. Had I decided to bid on it, I would have gotten a couple cases at under $3 a quart. For all my bad mouthing of Joe Gibbs stuff, had it been 5w-30, I would have done so. I'm not running Joe Gibbs 10w-30 in the F-150 for four months in the summer (and no more than 500 miles) and then switch to something more suited to our winters for the rest of the year.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
OOOOOOK.

Are you saying you don't believe this number?

So what makes this anymore of a "racing" oil that the $15.xx / jug 10W-30 QS Defy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back