HPL EC PICTURES AFTER 4500 miles and 2 OCI's

Attached are a couple of pictures from an oil filler cap view of a Honda J series engine.

HPL EC was used starting in June 2022 and ran with fresh Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 for 2500+ miles, oil and filter changed and a second run with Pennzoil 0w-40 + HPL EC is currently in the vehicle 2000 miles on current OCI, Ratio of Oil to HPL EC is slightly more than 1:5 recommendation.

I know this is an area of low oil flow, but the best comparison I have.

Attachments

• 6_2022 (4).jpg
    6_2022 (4).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 958
  • 12_2022 (4).jpg
    12_2022 (4).jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 955
It looks like there was some varnish removed under the head bolt, but it doesn't look like much. I'm sure a comparison with removed rocker covers would be more evident.

The J-series are v6's correct? Is this from the head that is fed fresh air from the intake, or the head with the PCV that returns to the intake?

It looks like there was some varnish removed under the head bolt, but it doesn't look like much. I'm sure a comparison with removed rocker covers would be more evident.

The J-series are v6's correct? Is this from the head that is fed fresh air from the intake, or the head with the PCV that returns to the intake?
Yes it is the V6 non-VCM, that had owner had dealer and bulk quick lube oil changes based on maintenance minder. Currently at 169K Miles, I started maintaining at 164K miles.

Dealer Bulk Oil or Instant Oil Change places is where they used to take the car. I now maintain this car for a friend. The PCV was completely plugged up which I am sure contributed to this build up.

It looks like what you are doing is working!
I am sure most of the members here are not going to the Instant Oil Change places.

Next oil change I would recommend Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP or maybe an OCI with one of the HPL Oils. There is a member here who has said his oil is getting dark after 2K.

Regardless, the PCV being plugged up was a major issue here.

Good Luck!

Attached are a couple of pictures from an oil filler cap view of a Honda J series engine.

HPL EC was used starting in June 2022 and ran with fresh Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 for 2500+ miles, oil and filter changed and a second run with Pennzoil 0w-40 + HPL EC is currently in the vehicle 2000 miles on current OCI, Ratio of Oil to HPL EC is slightly more than 1:5 recommendation.

I know this is an area of low oil flow, but the best comparison I have.
Perhaps you can expand on the above "low flow" comment. I have seen videos of oil flowing through an engine running at highway speed revs, and it certainly appeared that the flow to the cams and valves was anything but low flow. What information do you have that this is an area of low flow?

Here's one example:

And there certainly seems to be plenty of oil flow here, even at extreme RPMs:

Perhaps you can expand on the above "low flow" comment. I have seen videos of oil flowing through an engine running at highway speed revs, and it certainly appeared that the flow to the cams and valves was anything but low flow. What information do you have that this is an area of low flow?

Here's one example:

And there certainly seems to be plenty of oil flow here, even at extreme RPMs:

The area by the oil filler hole does not have active oiling in that area. That is what I meant by low flow area.

I am sure most of the members here are not going to the Instant Oil Change places.

Next oil change I would recommend Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP or maybe an OCI with one of the HPL Oils. There is a member here who has said his oil is getting dark after 2K.

Good Luck!
See pic I just posted of oil pan, there are areas of "bare" metal. was that the cleaner? 🤷

Good Luck!
See pic I just posted of oil pan, there are areas of "bare" metal. was that the cleaner🤷

See pic I just posted of oil pan, there are areas of "bare" metal. was that the cleaner🤷
It could may very well be, thanks for the pics. I would probably give Dave a call at HPL and he could advise you further. Thanks for the pic inside the oil fill hole of your other car that has always had Mobil 1

It’s hard to say if it was the cleaner or not. It will certainly get through the thinnest area first.

This would be a good candidate for the oil. It will clean more and the fact that you have the pan off and have a varnish issue primarily eliminates the concern of plugging or bypassing a filter.

David
Dave, are you saying that as it dissolves, varnish does not present the same risks as sludge? So the AN/Esters not only dissolve the varnish but are more polar than those varnish molecules, so it pulls them back into suspension? Thanks!

Dave, are you saying that as it dissolves, varnish does not present the same risks as sludge? So the AN/Esters not only dissolve the varnish but are more polar than those varnish molecules, so it pulls them back into suspension? Thanks!
Yes. As a manufacturer my concern is running into something sludged that if cleaned too quickly would have the possibility of plugging or bypassing the filter. First rule is do no harm. In Drew’s case he had the luxury of pulling the pan and seeing what is there. Since it is more varnish I’m less concerned about cutting a handful of material loose. That fact that his varnish is on the stubborn side also tells me it’s ok to proceed with the oil That will clean more aggressively.

We use the same ester in the engine cleaner as we do for some industrial applications. It has a good solid track record. We didn’t make that mess but we can sure help clean it up. Not often do we get an adequate peak inside to know what we are actually dealing with. The picture helps.

David

Just got the HPL oil (0W-30) in and will update this post with oil hole pictures when the car comes back for an oil change in 5000 Miles per Dave's recommendations

One thing I can say for sure the folks at HPL are top notch for customer service and follow up!

One question I had for Dave, what ratio do you need to run the EC to get the same cleaning ability as the oil?

Back