HPL cleaning - just sitting in oil

it could be inferred ranking.

HPL cleans, while the others so far dont.

I understand what you are doing and it is a fun exercise, but some members here get bent out of shape when people do these home "exercises".
I used the following disclaimer on my oil color post today based on drama with the PF posts requiring disclaimers b/c clearly, one could infer that I am saying/implying lighter colored oil at the same OCI is "better".

Disclaimer: obviously this means nothing, is not scientific, no conclusions can be drawn from the color differences, and I'm not telling you which oil is better performing based on color. It's just something I did b/c I was curious and it's fun. End comms.

Last edited:
Can't stop thinking about EC? I wonder if it is possible to formulate an "EC2" which has the same esters as the supercar oil and designed to stay in for the entire OCI?

According the HPL Dave the esters in supercar oil are more aggressive I'm cleaning am designed to stay in longer.
Totally unrelated to oil but when I saw you say EC2, my mind immediately said what does an AWS EC2 instance have to do with oil. Shows you where my mind is...

Need to compare it to M1 0W-40.
I have a younger brother who has been devoted to using Mobil 1 in every vehicle for all the years he has been driving. He used to bring a sample of his used oil to show/prove to me how clean it came out after oil changes. To this day I can't say why I never followed his advice. I do plan to use it in one of the cars we have now.

Can't stop thinking about EC? I wonder if it is possible to formulate an "EC2" which has the same esters as the supercar oil and designed to stay in for the entire OCI?

According the HPL Dave the esters in supercar oil are more aggressive I'm cleaning am designed to stay in longer.
It seems like Dave is a pretty sharp guy, at a pretty intelligent company. If they’ve designed a specific engine cleaner, and have publicly stated it’s a good idea to start with it rather than their “full-strength” engine oil because of the safety factor of not “knocking loose” a bunch of stuff the engine may not be able to deal with all at once, why would you want to risk your engine?

If you want to follow the professional recommendation, use the rare, already-on-the-market fully formulated engine cleaner; if not, buy HPLs engine oil and do a full oil change with their SuperCar oil. There’s no other need nor market for what you’re asking…

It seems like Dave is a pretty sharp guy, at a pretty intelligent company. If they’ve designed a specific engine cleaner, and have publicly stated it’s a good idea to start with it rather than their “full-strength” engine oil because of the safety factor of not “knocking loose” a bunch of stuff the engine may not be able to deal with all at once, why would you want to risk your engine?

If you want to follow the professional recommendation, use the rare, already-on-the-market fully formulated engine cleaner; if not, buy HPLs engine oil and do a full oil change with their SuperCar oil. There’s no other need nor market for what you’re asking…
Of course there is a market, it is called price points. 5qts of you favorite synthetic from Walmart approx $25 or with rebates even less + 1 at engine cleaner at $15. That is $40 vs $90+ buying super car oil.

I would rather spend $40 and do two short OCIs vs $90 and a long OCI.

Of course there is a market, it is called price points. 5qts of you favorite synthetic from Walmart approx $25 or with rebates even less + 1 at engine cleaner at $15. That is $40 vs $90+ buying super car oil.

I would rather spend $40 and do two short OCIs vs $90 and a long OCI.
Thanks for reinforcing my point… your oil of choice and the extant engine cleaner. ✌️

Back