20220729_092536_HDR.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220729_093014_HDR.jpg
    20220729_093014_HDR.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220729_093445.jpg
    20220729_093445.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 80
So, I will use up the remaining 1/2 quart of cleaner during my slightly more than 1000 miles of travel.

If all goes according to plan.. I am willing to reset my engine oil fluid, once I get there, at appropriate time.. since I'm doing some long-overdue baselining.

HPL fanboy here.

OK, so the piece of metal has been sitting in the Ravenol SSL for about two weeks and there has been no appreciable cleaning. I also gently touched it with my finger to see if I could smear the deposits and I could not.

You can see the line where the oil film ends, but there's no difference in the metal between either side:
IMG_3789.jpeg

Other side:
IMG_3790.jpeg

Where I tried to gently smear it near the raised area on the right-hand side, you can see I disturbed the oil film, but not the deposit underneath (yes, there are fingerprints from when I handled it doing the HPL experiment unfortunately):
IMG_3791.jpeg

I've now drained the Ravenol, put in M1 0W-40 and we'll see if that makes a difference on this same section.

OK, so the piece of metal has been sitting in the Ravenol SSL for about two weeks and there has been no appreciable cleaning.
No disrespect, but this is Not a scientific test. How do you know that other oils do not need heat to clean?

Have seen lots of people chastised for not performing scientific tests. But yet this test is valid and we can infer and oils cleaning ability based on a two week soak?

No disrespect, but this is Not a scientific test. How do you know that other oils do not need heat to clean?

Have seen lots of people chastised for not performing scientific tests. But yet this test is valid and we can infer and oils cleaning ability based on a two week soak?
Has a project-farm flavor to it...hahahaha

Good of you to have some critical thinking skills. You are correct. With these type of tests (actually ALL tests) you can only surmise "under these conditions, using these products, during this test only" this is what happens. You cannot infer that these results will be the same in a running engine or any other scenario. And, Overkill has only shown results so far - no conclusions or recommendations. That's where Project Farm is wrong. He does tests that often do not correlate with real life use, then makes conclusions and recommendations based on his tests.

Last edited:

You may note that I never claimed it was a scientific test and I absolutely don't want people reading any more into it than what it is. As @doitmyself noted I am not claiming anything regarding the results or suggesting that inferences be drawn from them. With a lack of controls this is just a fun exercise with no real value beyond the entertainment it provides and the spurring of commentary such as yours, which I appreciate you adding to the thread.

Dave had suggested I use heat when I spoke to him, as that makes it more effective. I do not have the time or equipment to perform this test with heat, so we get the room temperature version instead.

We also don't have detailed formulation information about the oils being used either.

You may note that I never claimed it was a scientific test and I absolutely don't want people reading any more into it than what it is. As @doitmyself noted I am not claiming anything regarding the results or suggesting that inferences be drawn from them. With a lack of controls this is just a fun exercise with no real value beyond the entertainment it provides and the spurring of commentary such as yours, which I appreciate you adding to the thread.

Dave had suggested I use heat when I spoke to him, as that makes it more effective. I do not have the time or equipment to perform this test with heat, so we get the room temperature version instead.

We also don't have detailed formulation information about the oils being used either.
Contact PF....I'm sure he will let you borrow his testing apparati :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Except I'm not going to be ranking anything here or drawing conclusions, lol. It's a no-budget WYSIWYG piece of entertainment, nothing more.
it could be inferred ranking.

HPL cleans, while the others so far dont.

I understand what you are doing and it is a fun exercise, but some members here get bent out of shape when people do these home "exercises".

it could be inferred ranking.

HPL cleans, while the others so far dont.

I understand what you are doing and it is a fun exercise, but some members here get bent out of shape when people do these home "exercises".
Understandable, that's why I'm glad we are having this discussion! I want to make it clear that this is just a fun exercise to "see what happens" and no conclusions should be drawn from it.

I can't speak for members that get bent out of shape over home exercises, but I can speak for myself whom as far as I know hasn't been bent. The problem is that some of those home exercises are using testing methods that are irrelevant to whatever conclusion is being claimed in the video or post. A prime example is when someone posts a couple of UOAs from different oils and then proceeds to make quality discriminations or wear determinations between the oils based on a spectrographic analysis. Or, when the famous Project Farm (or that other website) use a one-armed bandit machine to make the same quality determination. Those sites are deeply ignorant of what they are doing and have no clue about even basic scientific methods.

Yet another popular discussion on here is using raw mileage data from everyday driving to make a claim that some specific oil is more efficient (or worse a different winter rating) or that one particular brand of gasoline gives better mileage.

With Overkill's experiment the conclusion is proper within the confines of the test, and he's using the right methodology whereas the other examples I gave are using testing methods that are wholly inappropriate for drawing the conclusions that are presented. I'm not saying that Overkill's test is some monumental testament to scientific methods but you have to understand just how flawed those other sites are in what they are doing. It's a huge difference.

Right on, kschachn. We saw the HPL one armed bandit the other day. It sits...gathering dust...errr...if there were any dust to gather.
Well the real ASTM test apparatus is properly used as a component screening test for motor oil blenders and formulators and for certain gear oil tests. So it has a purpose if it is used for the correct test. But it is not used to determine comparative motor oil quality for finished products.

m not saying that Overkill's test is some monumental testament to scientific methods but you have to understand just how flawed those other sites are in what they are doing. It's a huge difference.
Agreed, but for the record I am not referring to or advocating any site or any particular test methods.

Back