HPL cleaning 2013 Hyundai Elantra - cut filter element

What was the minimum amount you had to order?
They had the CJ-4 blend in stock when I picked it up. The CK-4 version wasn't in stock so they blended two cases of quarts for me. I'm pretty sure they packaged more than what I picked up, so they may have it in stock.

@wwillson great pictures, the filter media show lots of particles not hidden by old oil. How did you remove the used oil? Did you just let it drain over time or did you rinse it with something?

I'm still very impressed by the cleaning done by the HPL. Do you think most cars have stuff like this on the inside, that we never see with more common oils, or do you think your car engine had a tough life and needed to be cleaned more than average ?

great pictures, the filter media show lots of particles not hidden by old oil. How did you remove the used oil? Did you just let it drain over time or did you rinse it with something?
I always let the element drain for at least a week before I take pictures. We get a much clearer picture of what got caught in the filter without the oil on the element.
Do you think most cars have stuff like this on the inside, that we never see with more common oils, or do you think your car engine had a tough life and needed to be cleaned more than average ?
The short answer is, yes I believe most engines have carbon deposits at minimum. Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I am the world's foremost expert on my opinion. :)

The Elantra has been driven normally by normal adults since new with normal oil change intervals with API certified oils, not a tough life at all.

HPL oil did the same cleaning in my MIL's 2003 Buick Le Sabre which had previously rolled into Jiffy every 3,000 miles religiously. It didn't have any visible sludge under the valve covers nor in the lifter valley, just a bit of varnish. However, a lot of crud was in the filter. Consumption also slowed from 1 quart low to 0.3 quarts low at 3000 miles.

I always let the element drain for at least a week before I take pictures. We get a much clearer picture of what got caught in the filter without the oil on the element.
I have seen a few videos where the oil was squeezed out of the filter element in a vice, and it clearly showed bits of metal (if they were there). Do you think the vice trick would work in this scenario?

I have seen a few videos where the oil was squeezed out of the filter element in a vice, and it clearly showed bits of metal (if they were there). Do you think the vice trick would work in this scenario?
I think squeezing the filter in a vise could remove the oil, but it would also remove the sludge, which I want to see as it was in the filter.

Thanks @wwillson Thanks @RDY4WAR

Sounds like the HPL can clean out a regular engine in normal condition. Very impressive.

Not to take anything away from HPL, but what would this translate to? A normal engine well maintained should live a long life with a normal performance level. But I think Rdy4War has answered this question, lower oil consumption, probably due to the oil control rings on the piston being freed up and allowed to do their job unhindered, like when they were new. I would also be interested to hear from any people with a hemi-tick or similar noises from the engine valvetrain.

OK, colour me jealous, I can't go on the HPL factory tour, and I can buy HPL oil to see if it can clean up my Nissan with its 2.5L QR25DE engine, which consumes a touch more oil than I would like.

The proper way to do that would be a solvent wash of the element and capturing the particulates in filter paper to do SEM-EDX on the particles. But just capturing them clean in the paper for a visual inspection would tell you a lot.

Thanks @wwillson Thanks @RDY4WAR

Sounds like the HPL can clean out a regular engine in normal condition. Very impressive.

Not to take anything away from HPL, but what would this translate to? A normal engine well maintained should live a long life with a normal performance level. But I think Rdy4War has answered this question, lower oil consumption, probably due to the oil control rings on the piston being freed up and allowed to do their job unhindered, like when they were new. I would also be interested to hear from any people with a hemi-tick or similar noises from the engine valvetrain.

OK, colour me jealous, I can't go on the HPL factory tour, and I can buy HPL oil to see if it can clean up my Nissan with its 2.5L QR25DE engine, which consumes a touch more oil than I would like.
Imagine if the crud was actually from HPL rather than the previous fill? I know we're all, including myself, assuming it's from the previous fill but still worth mentioning.

I think squeezing the filter in a vise could remove the oil, but it would also remove the sludge, which I want to see as it was in the filter.
I think Shel was talking about squeezing the filter *media* in a vise. Some BITOG posters do this after cutting the filter open and removing the media. They just stack up the folded media, wrap it in a cloth or something and put the stack in their bench vise.

I think Shel was talking about squeezing the filter *media* in a vise. Some BITOG posters do this after cutting the filter open and removing the media. They just stack up the folded media, wrap it in a cloth or something and put the stack in their bench vise.
Understood. However, you would not see the undisturbed carbon/sludge the filter caught in my example in the first post.

Imagine if the crud was actually from HPL rather than the previous fill? I know we're all, including myself, assuming it's from the previous fill but still worth mentioning
That would not be the case. It is fundamentally understood that AN’s and Esters clean. Our utilization of those base oils are the reason you see what you see.

We have a 14,000 vehicle fleet that has run deposit free In extended drain service for 9 years. This is nothing new for us.

A quick testimonial from me.. I have two cars that I *strongly suspect* installing HPL product (one the EC, one the actual PCMO) is yielding result. Both I cannot demonstrate a verifiable "before and after" but. Using strictly anecdotal and seat of the pants evidence.. I'm sold.

A quick testimonial from me.. I have two cars that I *strongly suspect* installing HPL product (one the EC, one the actual PCMO) is yielding result. Both I cannot demonstrate a verifiable "before and after" but. Using strictly anecdotal and seat of the pants evidence.. I'm sold.
What anecdotal and seat-of-the-pants evidence do you have?

Imagine if the crud was actually from HPL rather than the previous fill? I know we're all, including myself, assuming it's from the previous fill but still worth mentioning.
No I don't think that is the case, I've been reading more, and it sounds like people who run the HPL oil many times in a row get a cleaner engine that stays clean and the crud goes away with successive fills. Plus you would only need to run HPL in a new engine to verify that the HPL is not forming the crud. A very easy test for the factory to do, which I'm sure they have done many times during their development phase.

I am super impressed with the ability for HPL to clean out the old crud that has been slowing forming in engines running more common oils. And shocked at how much there is to clean in a well maintained car.

I have no dog in this fight, I live the other side of the world, and I can't get their products. But even at this distance I can see they have something special here.

Last edited:
What anecdotal and seat-of-the-pants evidence do you have?

Well.. on one, the "smoking" that was suspected to be piston rings (maybe) ... may have subsided. I can only judge from what I see while it is idling. Car is still very peppy.. likely has some kind of sensor issue (again, maybe.) Will find out soon. I improvement noticed. Looking forward to more improvement.

On the other one, I changed the oil yesterday morning, overfilled it maybe a quarter quart, drove it all day. Adjusted the level today, using my Fumoto valve. Might be cleaning out something, as engine seems quieter to redline.............

Can't prove anything to you in either case, but, the ANs are spectacular, making me think there is something to. Base oil composition....

Back