HPL cleaning 2013 Hyundai Elantra - cut filter element

wwillson

Staff member
This is the Fram Ultra filter element from our 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 115,000 miles on the clock. The oil is HLP 5w-20 HDEO that was in service for 10,000 miles the filter was also in service for the entire 10,000 miles.

These pictures reinforce the need for a filter change or two during a 10,000 mile run when following oils that don't have the ability to clean. I can't explain the relative lack of metal compared to the previous filter cut at 105,000 miles, not what I expected. The cleaning ability of HPL oils still amazes me.

These pictures also reinforce that if you aren't cutting the element out of your filter so you can see what the filter caught, then you are passing up valuable data.

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

Previous filter from this car:

Last edited:
@wwillson , what oils were previously used before the HPL? And what filters were previously used? What filter did you use for the HPL runs?

Last edited:
what oils were previously used before the HPL?
From 60,000 back it was bulk from the dealer, then I came into the picture. From 60,000 forward it was 10w-30 HDEO in the summer and 0w-20 in the winter, until the last run of HPL from 105,000 to 115,000.

And what filters were previously used?
Mostly Fram Ultra, as I'm a big fan.

Do you mean the YouTube video? If so, I don’t remember, but most likely.
I mean the filter photos in your post #1 (not anything in the YT vidoe in the link), which I assume is the filter you ran on this 10K mile OCI of HPL oil.

Fascinating

Should one expect similar behavior using HPL engine cleaner?
The engine cleaner will actually clean at a slower rate than the engine oil. You never know quite how sludgy the engine is. We don’t want to clean too rapidly and plug filters. Not to put words in Wayne’s mouth but I think it is fair to say that this is the second time where he was not expecting this kind of clean up.

Not to put words in Wayne’s mouth but I think it is fair to say that this is the second time where he was not expecting this kind of clean up.
True.

My opinion is that when you start running HPL oils, you need to change the oil filter early to check how much the oil is cleaning. Use the data from the first filter change to extrapolate when the next filter change should be.

I wish I had changed the filter much earlier in both the Durango (20,000 miles) and the Elantra (10,000 miles). You would think I would have only had to learn the hard way once!

I changed the Charger oil filter at 5,000 miles and got it just right.

True.

My opinion is that when you start running HPL oils, you need to change the oil filter early to check how much the oil is cleaning. Use the data from the first filter change to extrapolate when the next filter change should be.

I wish I had changed the filter much earlier in both the Durango (20,000 miles) and the Elantra (10,000 miles). You would think I would have only had to learn the hard way once!

I changed the Charger oil filter at 5,000 miles and got it just right.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I didn’t think the HDEO series came in a 5w20 do you mean the PCMO?

These pictures reinforce the need for a filter change or two during a 10,000 mile run when following oils that don't have the ability to clean.

This reminds me of the same conclusion I came to with my 2012 Hyundai Accent with a similar GDI engine. These are some of the dirtiest engines I've ever come across.

Back