HPL 0W-20 initial observations..

This is why if it isn't an economy car motor that can be found in the scrap yard for cheap...
use 1 grade up from recommended. It won't hurt.
0w16 = 0w20
0w20 = 0w30/5w30
etc

I agree agreed thicker wont hurt anything but mileage a bit, but will it actually prevent what I discovered?

I'm not certain it will or would have, but Im going to learn more when I cut open the filter in titan.

I suspect based on other evidence posted her hit would not.

Curious do you regularly cut and inspect filters?

I agree agreed thicker wont hurt anything but mileage a bit, but will it actually prevent what I discovered?

I'm not certain it will or would have, but Im going to learn more when I cut open the filter in titan.

I suspect based on other evidence posted her hit would not.

Curious do you regularly cut and inspect filters?

Will it prevent? Possibly not. Maybe delay :/
I just stick to the opinion that thinner oils are a conspiracy (call me tin foil hat). I actually use 5w30 in my 0w20 cars now and I think I lost at most 1MPG average, its more significant in the cold.

No, I don't. I find that whole "sect" (joke) of filter cutters to be a bit over the top. OEM filter or any OEM "equivalent" is fine.

Will it prevent? Possibly not. Maybe delay :/
I just stick to the opinion that thinner oils are a conspiracy (call me tin foil hat). I actually use 5w30 in my 0w20 cars now and I think I lost at most 1MPG average, its more significant in the cold.

No, I don't. I find that whole "sect" (joke) of filter cutters to be a bit over the top. OEM filter or any OEM "equivalent" is fine.

People ran carbed fuel fouled 30 for decades that was probably closer to 15 or even 10 and still got good life, so a 20 that stays a 20 is sufficient for long parts life as long as its clean and cool enough, but I understand why you mean.

OEM filters are almost always fine.
Like grandpa- i dont cut filters because I'm worried about the filter.
I cut it to see what there may be to learn about what's going on inside the engine.

My routine cut after running this ester based cleaner led me to discover deposits I had never seen.
This inspection and discovery lets me course correct before the problem gets worse.
To be honest I didnt expect to find anything, and was surprised I did.

If you don't actually inspect then you dont really know.

You may not care, and that's ok too.

Passenger cars are so lightly loaded they can run forever even when clapped out leaky sieves which is why merely attaining high miles isn't really an accomplishment.

Last edited:
People ran carbed fuel fouled 30 for decades that was probably closer to 15 or even 10 and still got good life, so a 20 that stays a 20 is sufficient for long parts life as long as its clean and cool enough, but I understand why you mean.

OEM filters are almost always fine.
Like grandpa- i dont cut filters because I'm worried about the filter.
I cut it to see what there may be to learn about what's going on inside the engine.

My routine cut lead me to discover deposits I had never seen.
This inspection and discovery lets me course correct before the problem gets worse.
To be honest I didnt expect to find anything, and was surprised I did.

If you don't actually inspect then you dont really know.

You may not care, and that's ok too.

Passenger cars are so lightly loaded they can run forever even when clapped out leaky sieves which is why merely attaining high miles isn't really an accomplishment.
A combination of high miles and many years is impressive to me at least. Time is the true test.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive, I learned that the hard way as a teenager on a gas powered pressure washer. It used a small honda motor, but died because I didn't take care of it properly, and I had to save up to buy another. In the end, considering cars are the biggest scam in the US of A, I will maintain them like my life depends on it, because it does. Going to and from work, and making sure that when SHTF it can keep running and get me out of trouble. Which is why the 05 still runs, and probably will still run for a long time. It hauled the whole fam and a trunk full of luggage coast to coast in heat and snow, its crashed, its been fixed, but the motor works like a well designed watch. That poor motor was not designed to haul 6 people (4 of which were adults)...that is for certain.

A combination of high miles and many years is impressive to me at least. Time is the true test.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive, I learned that the hard way as a teenager on a gas powered pressure washer. It used a small honda motor, but died because I didn't take care of it properly, and I had to save up to buy another. In the end, considering cars are the biggest scam in the US of A, I will maintain them like my life depends on it, because it does. Going to and from work, and making sure that when SHTF it can keep running and get me out of trouble. Which is why the 05 still runs, and probably will still run for a long time. It hauled the whole fam and a trunk full of luggage coast to coast in heat and snow, its crashed, its been fixed, but the motor works like a well designed watch. That poor motor was not designed to haul 6 people (4 of which were adults)...that is for certain.

I always give a nod to a man that services his own gear and takes care of it, and you seem like that guy.
That puts you head and shoulders above most.

High miles over many years is easy.

High miles over many years with an engine that holds the same compression and leak down numbers as when new is impressive to me.

I always give a nod to a man that services his own gear and takes care of it, and you seem like that guy.
That puts you head and shoulders above most.

High miles over many years is easy.

High miles over many years with an engine that holds the same compression and leak down numbers as when new is impressive to me.
Good point, ill have to go get a test on the 05. I think its still good.

Mileage is usually a good clue - if its still pulling similar the mpg I wouldnt bother.
It averages around 30, so around where it should! Last time I pulled the valve cover for the gasket, it was looking pretty good at ~ 165k miles.

Back