HP Warranty

HP is offering me a 3 year warranty with Accidental Care. It has 7day service, FREE pickup and delivery, spill coverage, drop coverage, virus coverage, etc,. for $73.69.Is this a good deal?

I like Costco for computers because they give you an extra year, maybe more if you use their Visa card.
HP computer quality has imptoved, but I prefer Dell and a few others.
I never buy computer warranties; I put the money towards a better computer.

By the way, unless you have applications that require Windows or Apple, I like Chromebooks.
Good luck.

We have owned several HP printers over the years. Only one required warranty work. Our current one has gone six years without an issue.

Just like any other warranty/ insurance. The odds of you needing or getting your moneys worth is NOT in your favor.
Further to this, I always ask myself the following question about warranties and optional insurance: "If this thing breaks 2 days out of factory warranty, will replacing it cause me an unacceptable/unmanageable level of financial hardship?". In other words, if your computer breaks in 366 days, will you be upset about paying out of pocket to fix or replace it? Is 3 years of peace of mind worth $73.69 to you?

Before you do this read the warranty contract (this is not insurance and cannot be called insurance according to the deceptive trade practices act) what is covered? What is excluded ( this is more important) where will the computer be serviced, will you have to send it in to HP at your expense? These protection plans are just a way for companies to make more money, the plans are written to benefit them not you.

If it was for a company I'd say yes but not for personal use. I've rarely had laptops go down due to hardware problems within the 3 year warranty period.

Before you do this read the warranty contract (this is not insurance and cannot be called insurance according to the deceptive trade practices act) what is covered? What is excluded ( this is more important) where will the computer be serviced, will you have to send it in to HP at your expense? These protection plans are just a way for companies to make more money, the plans are written to benefit them not you.

Everything is covered - spills, broken mobo, throwing it out the window of a moving car at 80mph, etc. After you make a claim they'll express ship you a laptop box with a prepaid label attached. They've also sent a 3rd party tech out to my office once to replace a motherboard.

If it was for a company I'd say yes but not for personal use. I've rarely had laptops go down due to hardware problems within the 3 year warranty period.

Everything is covered - spills, broken mobo, throwing it out the window of a moving car at 80mph, etc. After you make a claim they'll express ship you a laptop box with a prepaid label attached. They've also sent a 3rd party tech out to my office once to replace a motherboard.
This is basically what they're offering me. And, FREE delivery, FREE pickup, FREE replacement, FREE tech to my house, FREE local HP approved shops to work on it, etc., etc., etc.
I went for it. My last 2 laptops went into the shop for spills on them. So, l can now drink around it for 3 years with no worries.
Besides, the money was FREE. That $1400 check is paying off. :cool:

Most dell business laptops come with 4 year warranty with on site repair. They offer a cheaper warranty which is similar to what you explained, where you mail the laptop to a Depot and they repair it there.

Honestly, the Depot does a better job than the on site tech, and they detail the laptop completely and put plastic on it when it comes back.

Depending on the price of the PC, i'd buy it.

HP is offering me a 3 year warranty with Accidental Care. It has 7day service, FREE pickup and delivery, spill coverage, drop coverage, virus coverage, etc,. for $73.69.Is this a good deal?
What is the cost of your computer? That sounds like an insurance plan (accidents) rather than a warranty (manufacturing defects).

For a less than $500 machine I won't bother, for $1k or more I "might", but knowing how to swap parts out on ebay used stuff I would say it is the "I don't want to spend time on it, just replace what you think may be needed" labor hazzle that I want to save on.

I've replaced my work laptop many times due to power damage, screen going uneven, fan noise, popped speakers, etc but I probably won't bother with most of them due to the inconvenience. Many "parts" that break I'll just leave it alone and buy an external USB "something" to work around these days.

Back