HP Gain - Synthetic Products - HP TV - Dyno Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Tony Boner:
What is the margin of error for a dyno test? Seems like a couple of percentage points could be within that margin of error.

The other thing I wondered about was comparing used fluids to brand new lubricants. I was hoping they would change to brand new manufacturer fluids, dyno the car, then put the "sponsor's" fluids in and dyno again.

Heck, on Saturday, I had my car dyno'ed before they started on the Turbo install. They asked if I wanted to "drive" and I said no, let's get the same guy who's done a few hundred dyno runs do the before and after. Makes for fewer variables...

FWIW,

TB

quote:

Originally posted by QuadDriver:
[QB] yeah but...... ;-)

a couple things to consider: 1) new oil over used oil will always show lower friction. was the first oil JUST put in, or was it in the car for some time? (which is suspect as that car requires the 4718M spec which pretty much specifys syn oil) and 2) RP is famous for marketing oil that is actually a lighter grade than it is shwon on the bottle, regardless of the transfer grade/effect, did they REALLY test 5-30 vs 5-30?

Seems I asked a few of these questions already.

Alas, I'm here viewing posts of the oil geeks, there seems to be a leak in my Turbo system, so I'm not picking up the car today
frown.gif

TB

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
QuadDriver..........All very good points. As far as the GM spec grade oil, what engine are you referring to?

The LT1/LS1 motors require an oil meeting GM spec 4718M, which to my knowledge, is only marketed with syn blend and full synth oils.

offtopic.gif
here - true story....

A few years back I used to live in Beacon NY(ok, more like 7-8), not to far from the texaco fuels research center that used to be there. One of the engineer dudes lived 2 doors down and had been with texaco all his professional life. We talked often, and about the time that prodigy and AOL made the WWW available to the amsoil and RP dealers, the subject of 4718M came up. He said (and I quoth the best I can in my hazy memory) 'there is no reason why a hydrocracked and finished oil cannot meet the spec, however, Mobil oil corp (referring to M1) has pretty much cornered the market on camaro firebird owners buying their product for $3.50 a qt (yes, that was the price back then) so what incentive would they have to add the same teaspoon of additive to the under a dollar oil?'

long pause to let it take effect

sometimes the simplest answers are the sweetest no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back