How's your CVT holding up?

I've had 4 CVTs, two Ford, Two Honda.

I've driven from -8F to plus 109F and not found them to react any different than normal, nor had a problem.

Our company has a fleet of fords with CVTs, so far over 5 years and many many cars, I'm not aware of any failures.

I've had 4 CVTs, two Ford, Two Honda.

I've driven from -8F to plus 109F and not found them to react any different than normal, nor had a problem.

Our company has a fleet of fords with CVTs, so far over 5 years and many many cars, I'm not aware of any failures.
Understood. My 2012 Versa cvt has never given me a lick of trouble. Who knows, I’ll share whatever info I can get from Nissan as to internal problems that may have caused this.

short ride, 20 minutes total. ambient temp 40 degrees. Mostly high speed. Obvious trans issues. Bucking during acceleration, finally loss of low gear and reverse. What a bummer, 58k, car is garage and well kept. Will keep you posted.
Well, the Sentra is back today. 5 days from flatbed to finish. Reman trans with a 12/12000 mile warranty . Total warranty cost $3800.00. Nissan service didn’t blink. But why would I buy another cvt? Watch the fluid intervals, track the warranty. Buyer beware.

Well, the Sentra is back today. 5 days from flatbed to finish. Reman trans with a 12/12000 mile warranty . Total warranty cost $3800.00. Nissan service didn’t blink. But why would I buy another cvt? Watch the fluid intervals, track the warranty. Buyer beware.
Did they flash the TCM with the latest calibration?

So far so good with over 60,000 miles on the CVT in the 2015 PathFinder.

But the CVT and the Transfer Case get drained and refilled every six months.

That seems a bit excessive.
What is excessive?

The transfer case holds about a quart or less of 75W90 and each analysis shows a reduction in metal content of from 385 ppm down to about 75 ppm at the latest analysis. Being immediately behind the engine/transmission, it operates in a high temperature environment with a low lube supply.

The CVT is showing a decreasing metal content as well and I would like to keep it that way, since a CVT shears oil worse than an MT.

Last edited:
Bought a 2016 Altima in October of last year with just under 77,000 miles. Couple of weeks later, the CVT took a full crap when coming back from a 4 hour trip. Barely got it to the dealership. Over the course of 2 months, they tried putting two used trannies in it. Both failed. They finally gave in and installed a new CVT. Got the car back in early January. Now has 87,000 miles and drives great, getting 40 mpg.

Bought a 2016 Altima in October of last year with just under 77,000 miles. Couple of weeks later, the CVT took a full crap when coming back from a 4 hour trip. Barely got it to the dealership. Over the course of 2 months, they tried putting two used trannies in it. Both failed. They finally gave in and installed a new CVT. Got the car back in early January. Now has 87,000 miles and drives great, getting 40 mpg.
Was that covered under any extended warranty? My 2013 Sentra blew up at 75k. The new cvt they installed is only good for 12 months or 12k. Gonna trade it in before that. Never Nissan again!

Was that covered under any extended warranty? My 2013 Sentra blew up at 75k. The new cvt they installed is only good for 12 months or 12k. Gonna trade it in before that. Never Nissan again!
Fortunately, it was covered under the dealership's 30 day/3,000 mile used car warranty. So, it was fully paid for by them. I also have a 3 yr./36K extended warranty that would have covered it, with $100 deductible. I've gotten good service out of the CVT, so far. But, once that warranty has gone, I'll be sending it off elsewhere.

2009 Nissan Versa - Changed the fluid at a little over 60K. I am at about 105K now. Will change again soon. No problems so far.

It's my first CVT. Once I got used to it, I liked being able to cruise at low RPMs.
I jinxed it. Started noticing a whine, and finally determined it was the CVT. As the weather got colder, the CVT started to not function properly until warm. Drain and fill yesterday with Valvoliine. It drained almost 5 quarts. As of this morning, the whine is still there. But I may have found a video that shows dropping the pan and cleaning the two filters solves this problem. To be continued...

17k on the CR-V....running great. Did it's first dump and pump at 15k for the CVT. Next one will be at 45-50k and then 50k after that.

I jinxed it. Started noticing a whine, and finally determined it was the CVT. As the weather got colder, the CVT started to not function properly until warm. Drain and fill yesterday with Valvoliine. It drained almost 5 quarts. As of this morning, the whine is still there. But I may have found a video that shows dropping the pan and cleaning the two filters solves this problem. To be continued...

Interesting that you noted that the colder weather started messing with your CVT....

That's the same phenomena I noticed last year and this year....

I changed my CVT fluid again this past September into October... One time with Idemitsu CVT fluid and the second time with Eneos CVT fluid.

Much better again. .

I do let my car warm up a bit before rolling now though. If I have to roll out cold.. I use the manual mode which works very well and helps both the transmission and motor both eatm up faster by having the rpm up. Like 2k to 3k rpm. Nothing crazy... Once warmed up... Then I can haul donkey up to 6k rpm just fine.

2105 Nissan Pathfinder at 61K CVT made funny noise. Took it into Nisaan dealer. They gave me a loaded new Rogue as a loaner (Nice ride BTW). After my Pathfinder was there for nearly 1 month Nissan Corporate decided to give me a new CVT but at a 90% on them 10% on me. So for $500 I'm in my Pathfinder again with a new CVT.

Update from my Dec. 10 comment. My mechanic and I followed this video for my Versa:

It worked beautifully! The whine is gone, and the CVT is nice and smooth. Cleared the codes. I'm 90% sure this fixed my issues. I will drive for a few days, and if there are any problems, I will update. Drain and fill again with Valvoline CVT. I just wanted to update in case anybody does a search.

09 Versa 108K miles

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5. 167Kmi. Did my first drain and refill with Amsoil CVT around 100k. Took 7 qts. Factory fluid looked ok. Just did another drain and fill a couple days ago. Changed out pan and cartridge filters. Magnets didn't look to bad, some sludgy paste on them. Pan filter is just a mesh screen, not much debris on it. Prolly could have cleaned it off and reused. Cartridge filter was pretty dark, but looked like it was doing it's job. Put in 7 quarts of Amsoil again. Only issue I have had is a metallic clunk when first starting out from a cold start. Been doing that since I can remember, only does it once. From what I have gathered searching around the net it is the lock up clutch in the TQ.

Back