How's my choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a '77 Chevrolet C20 pickup with an unknown mileage 454 (supposedly rebuilt about 10 years ago). I'm in the Houston, Tx area, where weather over the next 6 months will range from hot to hot as ****. I selected Rotella 15W-40 with a Wal-Mart SuperTech filter. The truck hasn't run for about 5 years until last week, when I fired it up on the old oil. It runs fine with no smoke that I could see. Bear in mind I paid $300 for the truck, so I'm not doing a $75 oil change.
grin.gif
Here's a pic of my fine ride:

-

Excellent choice. I too live in Houston and am running 15w40 Delvac during our wonderful Summer (April through October) in my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. Nice truck for $300.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyLock:
Excellent choice. I too live in Houston and am running 15w40 Delvac during our wonderful Summer (April through October) in my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. Nice truck for $300.

It was a friend of a friend deal. He just wanted it off his property! He bought it from the company he worked for back when it was 2 years old. I sold the extra junk that came with it. I got $40 for the compressor and boxes pictured, and I sold the 3 extra carbs he gave me with it for $60 total. So, I'm in the truck for $200. But, I did have to buy a $25 reman starter! It's a Silverado 454/T400 with 3.73 posi. It'll be nice when I get some new body panels on it. I still have some oval-port 454 heads that were part of the deal.

Quote:
How's my choice?
------------------------------------------------

Oil - Good Choice
Filter - Subpar Choice
Truck - Anything that transports for only $300 is an excellent buy. Being able to haul with it makes it a superb buy.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Quote:
How's my choice?
------------------------------------------------

Oil - Good Choice
Filter - Subpar Choice
Truck - Anything that transports for only $300 is an excellent buy. Being able to haul with it makes it a superb buy.

Yeah, I shoulda gone with a Wix or Delco, but I was at Wally World with 2 choices - SG or Fram. I stand by that decision.
smile.gif
It'll get changed again before too long anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Your last name is filter?

lol.gif

No. It was a pathetic attempt at humor, when I wanted to register in a hurry.

My real last name is Change.
wink.gif

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...even worse.

454s are famous for killing starters, you might want to look at a "premium" starter rather than a $25 reman. I think you can get a starter meant specifically for the 454, not certain. Then again it's not that hard to change out the starter on this truck. But Murphy will eventually set you up with a truck that won't start when you really want it to start.

I would spring for a Pure1 oil filter. Even if you do a 3000 mile OCI, the extra couple of bucks for a first rate filter will get lost in the noise compared to the roughly $400 worth of fuel you will burn...(hey if you get 10MPG it would be closer to $600 @$2/gallon, right?)

You *might* actually save money by using a synthetic oil. 5 (or does this truck hold 6 or 7?) A gallon jug of M-1 at wally world is only $20, if you got 5% better mileage it would pay for itself in around 3000 miles. I'm assuming it's not burning or leaking oil too bad.

Great buy on the truck!

with a 454 and $2/gallon gas, I'm surprised someone didn't pay Earl/Brandon to take it....just teasing of course.

seriously, good catch, best of luck.

The funniest part is that only 1 of the 2 twenty-gallon tanks is hooked up. So at 8 mpg, that gives me a cool 160-mile cruising range...with at least $40 of gas.
gr_eek2.gif

I love the rusty front of the hood...when you close it (slam it really), it spits about 2 cups of rust scale on your shirt.
grin.gif

Not that anyone cares, but here's the Jag project...the LT1 is staying basically stock, except for headers and 1.6 RRs. It's going to be the daily driver. Please excuse the mess in the garage!

-

-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back