How's K&N 1004 on Kia/Hyundai GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.
Need your advice.
I'm getting an oil change special from AAP https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/oil-change-specials and need to select a filter.
I'm going to pass on Boss and that leaves me with Mobil1 vs K&N
Any feedback on how does K&n work on these gdis?
My buddy drives a focus st and he believes K&N is so good it even prevents a carbon buildup (no proofs from him tho lol)
Thx!

If it was between the M1 and K&N, I'd go with the M1. Both will work of course, I think the M1 is better.

You can't go wrong with either. The K&N has the advantage of having the nut on the end for easier removal.

Originally Posted by wemay
The K&N has the advantage of having the nut on the end for easier removal.

Which can also be a source of oil leakage due to bad spot welds.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

In rare cases? yes. But this really isn't a common occurrence.

True ... just sayin' it can happen. Efficiency is down on the K&Ns now if I recall past discussions correctly. Those two things about the K&N would make be pick the M1 if it was the only other option like the OP mentioned. Otherwise, flip a coin if those things don't matter to whoever's buying.
grin2.gif

True ... just sayin' it can happen. Efficiency is down on the K&Ns now if I recall past discussions correctly. Those two things about the K&N would make be pick the M1 is it was the only other option.

I agree on the final point. M1 would be my first choice too.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I usually go for M1 oil filters, but in my last oil change, I did not like the way it looked compared to previous ones. If you see one made in October-Nov 2018, I wouldn't put it on.

However, they are good.

If the choice was between those two, I'd take the M1 long before I would consider the K&N. Honestly though, I'd go for the Boss before either. It seems to be one Puro filter that's worth using.

there was a recent report about a torn adbv on PuroBoss, so I've decided not to run the risk.
I somehow don't like the M1, and it seems like K&N is not worth it, even tho it looks solid.
Sticking with my Fram FPS then

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hey guys.
Need your advice.
I'm getting an oil change special from AAP https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/oil-change-specials and need to select a filter.
My buddy drives a focus st and he believes K&N is so good it even prevents a carbon buildup (no proofs from him tho lol)
Thx!

I heard the OEMs are designed for more flow. So in that case, I would get the K&N over the more restrictive Mobil-1.

Many here say higher efficiency/trapping is better. Well that depends on the application. Perfect example is my Colorado, which absolutely hates Fram Ultras. My Colorado filter is currently a K&N.

My Colorado doesn't like the OEM AC Delco PF61 anymore either. But flow improves when I use the Ecore version PF61E.

EVERYONE should find out more/correct info on their OEM filters first, before replacing them with either higher flow aftermarket filters, or higher trapping aftermarket filters.

there was a recent report about a torn adbv on PuroBoss, so I've decided not to run the risk.
I somehow don't like the M1, and it seems like K&N is not worth it, even tho it looks solid.
Sticking with my Fram FPS then

I am not sure a tear is a big deal. The tiny amount of oil that gets past that tear will almost certainly hit the filter in a different area the next pass through the filter and be filtered. This is not like water passing through a house water filter where once its past the filter its used and never filtered again.

But given two identical filters I would choose the one without the tear. How many of these tears were caused by rough handling during cutting the filter open?

Considering that this was the reply i received from K&N on filter info. All they can say is it meets or exceeds OEM

Not being able to provide any useful info makes me wonder.

email cap.PNG

email cap2.PNG

Last edited:
I like K&N as a company, mainly from the good customer service I have received from them. Every car in my driveway has a K&N air filter and I use their white oil filters from time to time with no worries. They are built very well, very strong cans. I have used one on the Optima, and in the position it's in on that car the nut works very well.

Triple_Se7en I wish I knew where to find the flow specs for Kia OEM filter.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hey guys.
Need your advice.
Thx!

I heard the OEMs are designed for more flow. So in that case, I would get the K&N over the more restrictive Mobil-1.

Many here say higher efficiency/trapping is better. Well that depends on the application. Perfect example is my Colorado, which absolutely hates Fram Ultras. My Colorado filter is currently a K&N.

My Colorado doesn't like the OEM AC Delco PF61 anymore either. But flow improves when I use the Ecore version PF61E.

EVERYONE should find out more/correct info on their OEM filters first, before replacing them with either higher flow aftermarket filters, or higher trapping aftermarket filters.

Does that Colorado have a computer controlled variable flow oil pump? Sound to me like the oil pump is weak or being controlled in a manner that makes it weak and sensitive to the slightest flow restriction in the oiling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back