How would you educate people when they say it comes from personal experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's a thread from Honda-Tech.

Other forum links not allowed

If you read a bit further down the first page, you'll see an argument forming regarding Mobil 1 burning more heavily than regular dino (Castrol GTX in this case I think). Now, this leads to the "assumption" that *ANY* synthetic will burn much more than dino....therefore it sucks
dunno.gif
Go figure, eh?

Comments?

Oz

[ November 24, 2002, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Very entertaining. Seem to be a rather large number of clueless folks on that board.
grin.gif

I would think trying to add a bit of information or common sense to that board would be futile.

Oz, I would not waste your time on that board. I lurk on that board from time to time, there is alot of bitching, cussing, sarcasm and fighting. You are far too knowledgeable to be wasting your time trying to teach those who think they know it all about cars(heck, when I was 18 I thought I knew it all too).
dunno.gif
wink.gif
-Joe

Oz,
I agree with joee12.
But then, sometimes I just think people need ed-joo-kaytin, & I have to be the one to get beat up to do it. You hafta ask yourself, "Do I feel like taking a boatload of cr** to help these folks?" & then decide. I don't think there's any easy way to help folk who don't know they need it.

Remember, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."

just do like they do in the medical profession and say "anecdotal evidence has no validity" and "valid conclusions must be drawn from examination of statistically valid data" HeHe

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
"anecdotal evidence has no validity" and "valid conclusions must be drawn from examination of statistically valid data"

I like that! I may get to use that when I go to the dealer next month. I was talking to one of their "service technicians" a couple of weeks ago, asking about the new Saab OE full-syn oil. He proceeded to tell me that, since I wasn't racing my car at the track, I was wasting my money using full-syn in my car. My TURBOCHARGED car. He then clued me in to the fact that even "the best" full-syn, RedLine, should NEVER be run at the manufacturer's recommended drain intervals, & that he changed his RedLine out every 2k miles. It made me wonder what the RedLine folks would say, hearing him spouting off about their oil being good for only 2k mi! I chose not to pursue the conversation with him at that time, but I'm sure he's never done any testing or talked with any oil chemists.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:
So, here's a thread from Honda-Tech.

Other forum links not allowed

If you read a bit further down the first page, you'll see an argument forming regarding Mobil 1 burning more heavily than regular dino (Castrol GTX in this case I think). Now, this leads to the "assumption" that *ANY* synthetic will burn much more than dino....therefore it sucks
dunno.gif
Go figure, eh?

Comments?

Oz

I gave up on Honda forums a long time okay. Not worth the time.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

mdv You and the guys will be surprised that there are still a few well-operated Honda discussion groups. Honda-Tech, IMHO, is not well moderated and it is too saturated with misinformed individuals. There are a good number of Techheads in Honda-Tech, but unfortunately, do not speak up or educate the masses as often as they should. I also realize that there are idiots on every forum, it just seems that since Honda's are so popular, they have a greater percentage of them.

Regards,

Oz

Oz,
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying there aren't knowledgeable people on Honda forums at all. I just get too frustrated trying to have a decent conversation without the thread getting hijacked by someone with an automatic Civic and a fart can exhaust who thinks his ride is the fastest on the planet.

[ November 25, 2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

Thanks for the replies fellas.

joee12 Me knowledgeable? I highly doubt it
wink.gif
Anyway, a lot of Honda-Tech members are actually here. You can probably thank Bror Jace for that
tongue.gif
Granted, there are a lot of people there that do listen and keep an open mind. And its those people that I don't mind talking to.

dickwells Ummm...I'm not sure if that excuse will help, but I'll try it when the opportunity arises
grin.gif
For now, every time someone asks me where I get my info, I just say that I belong to a "group" of oil techheads that discuss this openly in a daily basis. These people are engineers who analyze oil for a living (Bob, Terry, MolaKule, TooSlick), and some who actually work for a major oil company (Bob, Johnny). However, I don't think that will hold up water all the time.

mdv You and the guys will be surprised that there are still a few well-operated Honda discussion groups. Honda-Tech, IMHO, is not well moderated and it is too saturated with misinformed individuals. There are a good number of Techheads in Honda-Tech, but unfortunately, do not speak up or educate the masses as often as they should.

Regards,

Oz

Chris,
From what I know, it's Mobil-made 0W-30. All the '03 Saabs are coming with a "Use Mobil 1" advertisement in the engine compartment. The only thing I haven't heard yet is whether it's US made or Euro made. It's API-SL, ACEA A1/B1-A5/B5 rated, & includes the new GM/Opel LL-A-025 long-life spec. I haven't been able to get a "real" price from any of the 3 dealers in my area; prices ranged from $5.25-$10.78 per liter bottle, & $21-$28 for a 4-liter jug, but they all admitted their quotes were suspect.

Two interesting side-notes here:
1) Reports from folks who work in the assembly plants in Sweden & Finland say that ALL the turbocharged cars get M1 0W-40 as factory fill, regardless of their destination or manual's recommendations. Saab even has an OE full-syn 0W-40 oil, but it's not distributed in the US. All the local dealers can pull it up on their screens via "the Swedish P/N," but none of them can bring it in.
2) I have 5 liters of 1 yr old Saab OE 5W-30 semi-syn, & it doesn't have any US markings or P/Ns on it. The remarkable thing is this: the same oil with a US P/N is API-SL, ACEA A1/B1 rated, but this "un-US" oil is SJ, A3/B3 rated. I've heard speculation that all the OE 5W-30 semi-syn is also Mobil-made, & the bottle looks frighteningly similar, but I have no real proof. I'm guessing it's Euro-Mobil, but EuroM1 web-specs don't list any ACEA ratings for anything but their 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back