How would YOU brake in a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am abought to pick up a new 06 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 manual 6 speed pick up. There are numerous opinions on what to do and what to use when changing the fluids.
I have also been told that bypass filters and pre oilers are over kill for a vehicle such as mine; better suited to high performance or industrial equipment. Yes/ No?
My Q are:
1. When would you do your first oil change?
2. When would you switch to synthetic?
3. When would you first change out your tranny and other fluids?
4.Would you switch your tranny and gear oil to synthetic? If so what brand(s) do you like?
5 Moly seems like a great idea. How/ when/ how often would you add it? And would you add it to all the lube fluids?
I plan on having this truck for a long time and want to treat it right. BTW I live in Boston and I am a carpenter so this will truck will be used both for work and personel use.

2500 miles then once more at 5000 and every 5000 after.

10,000 miles.

My car is supposedly lifetime...

4.Would you switch your tranny and gear oil to synthetic? If so what brand(s) do you like?

I'd only use toyota recommended.

5 Moly seems like a great idea. How/ when/ how often would you add it? And would you add it to all the lube fluids?

I add 4 ounces of valvoline synthetic oil treatment into the engine oil to boost my calcium, zddp, moly, etc.

If you plan to haul stuff with it like large amounts of wood, you may want to change your oil earlier at about 3000 miles.

quote:

When would you first change out your tranny and other fluids?

Since you stated you wanted to keep the truck for a long time:

I would change PCMO every 7,500 miles with filter changes every 3,750 miles if you're running synths. If using mineral oils, halve that schedule.

Change differential (75W140 rear, 75W90 front) and tranny fluids every 30,000 miles with synthetics, or very 15,000 miles with mineral oils.

Change TC fluid (if so equipped) every time you change the tranny fluid.

[ November 16, 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

1) I do my first oil changes at 1000mi, then at 4000mi, then follow the manual.

2) I switched to synthetic at my first 1000mi oil change.

3) I changed out my Tranny fulid at 10,000mi then I will change every 40 to 50,000mi.

4) Amsoils new GL-4 manual transmission gear oil. That's what my manual calls for. A syn helps with cold weather shifting. You know, when it hits -35F

5) I don't add anything to my oil. If you are using a good syn (and OCI at reasonable intervals)you shouldn't really need too.

Wait for a cold dry night. Put it in 4x4 low on a nice paved surface. Start the engine, floor it and drop the clutch. Drive it for a solid minute at red line. Repeat every night for the next 2 months.
tongue.gif

This is how I would break in the new outfit.

1. 1000 miles for the first change. 3k for the 2nd and then every 5k for warrenty reasons with a good oil like Pennzoil, Havoline etc..

2. I would not. I'd stay with 5k OCI and do as above.

3. I'd change them out between 15-20k for the Tranny and Transfer and Axles around 25k-30k unless you have been towing. Then everything 15k.

4. Tranny oil I would go Syn. Transfer and Axles prob would. You're not going to be changing them too often. If you EVER get them wet, change it out right away! Like going across deep water or such...

5. I would not go and add anything else. If your using good oils, they add enough "stuff" to do the job well.
LC and FP is liked around here. I'm running it on two of my outfits and have not really noticed anything.
dunno.gif

Just drive it like you want to keep it and do the above and it will last you a good long time!

I'e done the above on my own outfits and they have been doing well. My 1986 VW Jetta has 250k and never had anything engine work done to it. Never had an injector off, orginal Alt and water pump. Just had Timing Belts and oil changes.

And todays oils are tons better!

Enjoy! bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Forget the extra filters and such IMO...
grin.gif

Toyota recommends 5,000. I have a new 4 runner with the saem V6 approaching 2,500 and I will end up changing the oil this weekend, then again at 5,000 then go ahead with the 5,000 OCI to see how it goes.

With my driving habits and OCI I don't see any particular need for synthetic. Now if you drive the snot out the the engine, it might have some benefits (excepting your pocketbook).

Probably around 15,000 (~= 1 year)

4.Would you switch your tranny and gear oil to synthetic?

No, I'll use what Toyota recommends.

For engine oil, I'll use an oil with moly, for the rest of the stuff I'll use what toyota recommends.

I plan on having this truck for a long time and want to treat it right.

I got 130,000 (and counting) on my previous 4runner with standard dino juice (10W-30). This vehicle was rescently handed down to my stepson and we fully expect it to go another 100,000 miles, since it has given us no trouble at all in the first 130,000 miles of its life.

Wish I had a new truck......

reinvent, get me a sample of each fluid and we can custom tune a regimen for your budget,environment,and long life. Will answer every question you have with science instead of estimates.

Skip the bypass filters.

I just went through this with a new 4Runner. Toyota makes excellent vehicles, and they last forever with factory specified maintenance, even using cheap stealership dino oil. You don’t need to do any thing special, but if you are like me, you will anyways.

I did my first oil change at something like 750 miles or so. I did my second at 2,500 miles. Both were probably overkill. I’m now doing 5,000 mile changes (5,000 is the severe service interval in the book. The normal interval is 7,500)

I switched somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.

A lot of Toyota’s are coming with lifetime tranny fluid. There isn’t even a dipstick or fill tube. Check to see if you have one of these. If so, I don’t know what to tell you other than to not use anything but Toyota fluid.

My 4Runner maintenance book doesn’t have an interval for the tranny fluid. It says 30,000 miles for severe service on a Land Cruiser. I think I will switch it at 30,000 or maybe 50,000. Likewise for the radiator, transfer case and differential. I think the book says 75,000 miles on the differential fluids. The radiator also uses Toyota specified fluid. I will stick with the Toyota specified fluids, especially while I am still under warranty.

I checked into these Toyota specified fluids on a Toyota message board, and there are plenty of reports of people who used something else and had their tranny die on them. Not worth the risk, and not worth the few cents saved on cheaper fluids from the local parts store.
(Here is the message board I mentioned. They will have lots of info for you and your new truck: http://www.yotatech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 )

No, not for the tranny. See above. I might use M1 synthetic on the transfer and differentials, I haven’t decided yet. The dino gear oil is supposed to last 75,000. If I change it every 30,000, do I really need synthetic?

Pass. If you use high quality fluids, and change them regularly, there is no need. Be sure to stick with the Toyota specified tranny fluid.

Feh! Rev the snot outta it for the first 20 miles, a la MotoMan's recommendations. Change the oil (conventional, still) and filter. Vary your RPMs for the next 200 miles. Then feel free to switch to your favorite synthetic.

Dino gear and tranny oils can go 15K; synth 30K. Mobil 1 fluids for ATF and gear oils work fine for my QX4, but I prefer Redline MT90 for manual transmissions.

Coolant and brake flud should be changed yearly. I use Sierra coolant and Motul RBF brake fluid.

Power steering fluids can go two years. Mobil 1 ATF.

The only "lifetime" fluid is a fluid you don't change until the unit breaks--certainly outta warranty, but also certainly not outta useful life.

If I bought a new car which came with conventional oil in it, I'd do the first oil change at 3k, and switch to synthetic at that point. The first interval after that would probably only be about 5 or 6k though, depending on how much wear metals showed up in the first UOA from the factory fill.

If I bought a new car which came with synthetic, I'd wait until 5k to do the first oil change.

I guess you're talking more about care than break-in. For break-in, I'd get it nice and hot driving fairly easy in stop and go traffic. Turn it off for 10 minutes. Start it back up, go to the top of the steepest hill around, and, keeping it in a low gear, go DOWN the hill with the rpms fairly high...say within 1000 of redline. Rings should be set well...one of the most important things to do in a new engine. Go home and change the oil and filter. Initial Break-in completed. Now if you want to baby it or take it easy for several hundred miles, fine. Oh, I'd also change the gear oil to synthetic of recommended quality within the first 500-1000 miles.

use mobil 1 oil on a new engine. it has break in modifiers in it. mobil 1 is what comes in all new porsche, lamborghini, ferrari (except enzo) viper, and corvette engines. why mess with less than the best?

3-5k
30k or when it it is contaminated from offroading whichever came first.
4.Would you switch your tranny and gear oil to synthetic?
Only if I didn't plan on taking it near water crossings, mud or creeks that could submerge the hubs. If so what brand(s) do you like? Mobil 1

5 Moly seems like a great idea. How/ when/ how often would you add it?
And would you add it to all thean oil that has Moly in it if you want moly..

1. First oil/oil filter change: 2-2.5 k miles.
2. N/A. Prefilled with synthetic from factory.
3. 30-35 k miles.
4. 30-35 k miles (if possible). One of my vehicles need Esso ATF LT 71141.
5. I don't use any oil additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back