How would you all bend back to flat the cover of a soft-cover book?

I have to know!

Lately, I have been cleaning house, saying good-bye to a lot, your stereotypical Midlife Crisis stuff (though I'm in denial. Ha.) And I came across a very special book to me, one that may have helped start it all in the 2000s down my path...

20221120_151627.jpg

So. I keep it in a special place. And the back cover is fine...

20221120_151939.jpg

...but the front cover looks like this!!!

20221120_152056.jpg
20221120_152111.jpg

For now, I will just keep my yearbook on top of it.. (I used to have hair! LOL) although. I'd much prefer to see a Volkswagen book first than my yearbook.

And for those that dont know, my first car was a very pretty blue 1986 Volkswagen Jetta Deluxe 5 speed with 13 inch wheels factory and WVW made in Germany VIN. May have had the Wolfsburg castle on the side, even though said Deluxe on the back...

How would you bend flat this cover? Can it be done?

20221120_152514.jpg

I had books do that before, what I did to help it was to put a moist towel over it, crank up the iron on high steam, and basically iron the book until the towel dries out. the moisture and towel help keep the book from burning, and the heat eventually "melts" the plastic of the covering to lay back in place.

I had books do that before, what I did to help it was to put a moist towel over it, crank up the iron on high steam, and basically iron the book until the towel dries out. the moisture and towel help keep the book from burning, and the heat eventually "melts" the plastic of the covering to lay back in place.
This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Are you talking about how you would "steam" fit a hat? Similar? If this book didn't have sentimental value, yeah I got it around Graduation and has relevance to my first car (if I ever get rich I'm buying a Blue 4 door 86 or 87.... 88 they went 3VW
.. and changed the grille...) I'd just bend it.

Please keep the suggestions coming because this has been bent like this for.. some time.

This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Are you talking about how you would "steam" fit a hat? Similar? If this book didn't have sentimental value, yeah I got it around Graduation and has relevance to my first car (if I ever get rich I'm buying a Blue 4 door 86 or 87.... 88 they went 3VW
.. and changed the grille...) I'd just bend it.

Please keep the suggestions coming because this has been bent like this for.. some time.
Pretty much, yes. Holding emphasis on the corners and binder area. The damp towel keeps the book from burning, and helps evenly 'melt' the very thin plastic covering that the books cover has. The heat helps set it back to where it should be. That is about the best way I can describe it.

You MUST have one of these on the shelf too?

View attachment 127200

I remember thumbing through one before I even had a driver's license.
Ya know.... my VW was tough. I think it had an iron block and heads. My second car was a BMW...........

I remember an overheat and I had the bright idea to just drive it "As fast as I could!" to school. 90 and 100MPH (plus! Possibly. Tires were +1 size at that time. I still have those wheels) and drive about 5-10 minutes with temp gauge pegged, it lost coolant I think via a hose. (The fast driving was AFTER overheat, Thank you.. you dont want your car towed on that toll road. No no no. Get off the road and assess later..) idea was AIRFLOW.. Parked in back of parking lot after tearing in there, went to class. Came out expecting a seized engine. It started and ran fine..... Fast forward 21 years and that school was on the list of predatory schools where I automatically get a loan forgiven. True story.

I love this book, I have my own tales..

Back