How & Where to buy a "Roach Coach"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call them "Roach Coaches" but I guess their real title is probably "Food Truck"?

smile.gif

My Sister is trying to talk me into buying one, and I don't even know where to begin.

New? Used? Specific brands and/or manufacturers? Maintenance required? Where to shop?

I've got to think a new truck is really expensive (I have no idea of HOW expensive), but I'll bet buying used one might be a money-pit to maintain if you get a poorly maintained one.

Comments? Suggestions? Where do I begin?

Thank you,
Ed

Craigslist. Just know anything you buy you will have to probably spend just as much getting it in usable condition, plus any permits required by your city/county.

It's not a cheap purchase- the better ones are $100k + properly outfitted. All in all it's a serious investment. Check all regulations before you buy

There are companies that convert used trucks such as UPS trucks by installing stainless steel kitchens. They can indeed be $100k. It's probably better to buy one from a receiver who is selling the assets of a failed food truck company. I know a person who is in their 2nd year of the food truck business and it is tough work. Worker's wages and truck payments soak up much of the revenue. Good luck.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Work for someone else for a season to study the business. There'll be pitfalls you need to negotiate with the health inspector, insurance, food vendor, banks, cops, and the organized crime that owns the good street corners.

If you have to ask this, then forget it.

It takes a lot of "chutzpah" to run a business like this.

If your sister wants one, let her buy it.

All the other posts are very valid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko

Comments? Suggestions? Where do I begin?

If you have to ask on a site like this, you don't have the skills or abilities to operate one.

"Roach coach" around here usually refers to the guys that come around selling sandwiches and other stuff, usually around lunch time. Most of these are built on a pickup truck, where a food truck is a mobile kitchen and is usually built out of an old delivery truck.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by walterjay
Come up with a realistic business plan before you dive in.

Right. This is well beyond the normal sedan v. SUV contemplation, this is a bizz start-up. (which you [could] get a SBA loan for the vehicle purchase with a solid bizz plan)

Good luck in your endeavors OP. Years ago I wanted to do this because of my passion for cooking but I ultimately came to the realization that my passion for cooking didn't carry over to running a bizz.

Btw, born and raised in CA and we called them all roach coaches... some of the best dang food (TexMex, Mex, Korean, BBQ etc.) you can get comes off some of these trucks.

Last edited:
Tough business. It's usually a silverado 2500 or 3500 or an F250 or F350 body with a WAG box on top. The boxes and trucks are pretty easy to switch in and out. I bet those guys have no more than $15k in those.

You're also going to need to see where you can sell and a licensed commissary from which you will be operating from. Then the required heath permits and business license(s).

The roach coaches I see that are Hispanic owned look like old converted FedEx trucks to me with full functioning kitchens on board.

Are talking a place you order decent food or the truck that shows up at a job site?

My sis in law and her partner have a very successful taco truck(former uHaul) and taco trailer both self built for around under $10k.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by madRiver
Are talking a place you order decent food or the truck that shows up at a job site?

My sis in law and her partner have a very successful taco truck(former uHaul) and taco trailer both self built for around under $10k.

[Linked Image]

Nice ðŸ‘... now I want tacos🌮! ...‚

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back