How Well Does Redline Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The synthetic esters in Redline are polar, meaning they attract themselves to metal surfaces.

Synthetic esters such as POE's are naturally cleaning chemicals. For Redline, the formulated oils do not need to have as much detergent/dispersant additives since the base oil esters do their share of cleaning.

Now the natural esters in Auto-Rx have a greater affinity for carbon and sludge particles than do the esters in Redline.

Molakule;
I'm thinking of changing yor name to a bold Roman one.
Behold, I present....
Carbonaceous
bowdown.gif
worshippy.gif

That is exactly what Castrol claims on their Syntec web site.......that their Syntec bonds to engine parts and therefore is superior.

I don't believe that Redline "cleans" the engine or that any synthetic will clean an engine up. i do believe they keep an engine cleaner if used from the beginning and over the life of the engine.
Wanna clean ya engine?? Use Auto RX !!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The synthetic esters in Redline are polar, meaning they attract themselves to metal surfaces.

Synthetic esters such as POE's are naturally cleaning chemicals. For Redline, the formulated oils do not need to have as much detergent/dispersant additives since the base oil esters do their share of cleaning.

Now the natural esters in Auto-Rx have a greater affinity for carbon and sludge particles than do the esters in Redline.

Are corrosion and rust inhibitors suddenly not polar??
It sounds like ester based lubricants of any sort could be a disaster except in very clean or new vehicles.

Alex D, How is it that only the esters in Auto-Rx are able to clean? You can look at a Redline UOA and see the cleaning effect takeing place. The difference is that Redline will take 2-3 oil changes to clean and is not going to gurantee a 100% sludge removal. I am sure that it is no accident that Frank chose esters as the cleaning product. It would reasonable to think that as a chemist he was aware of various esters cleaning propertys and new that if he worked at it long enough he could create some esters with the specific propertys he was looking for.

The esters in Redline are not their to clean the junk left behind by your last oil. This effect is just an added bonus! They are their to lubricate your engine.

Ester base stocks are the only ones that can clean! PAO base stock oils must add ester because they lack any solvency. PAO's can not even hold a decent addative package with out the help of esters or petrolem oil carrier as far as I am aware! Group III's are just as bad. You have to add a lot of detergent and dispercent addtives to them and antioxidents in order to clean up the engine.

The most important thing about high ester content oils is that they leave less of themselfs behind in each OCI. I think it is more important to leave as little varnish, sludge and ash behind as possable and Redline will acomplish!

I'm guilty of using Redline once and moving on (cost). Of all oils I think this practice is worst for Redline due to the esters and obvious 'deep cleaning' ability of their oils. We don't have any regular RL users with multiple UOA's for good trend analysis which is a pity.

redline 10w40 in 1993 Ford 351w marine engine, 550 hrs on motor, UOA coming within a few weeks. 2nd season running redline 10w40 in this motor;

redline 10w40 in 2002 GM 3.0L 4-cyl marine, 1st season running redline; 30 hrs on motor;

redline 10w30 in 2002 LS1, analysis on that coming within a month or so, will try to run redline 5w30 over the winter in it.

quote:

We don't have any regular RL users with multiple UOA's for good trend analysis which is a pity.

HA!
twak.gif
grin.gif

I think synthetic oils, and in synthetics higher in esters will clean an engine.

But at $7 qt+, to clean over thousand and thousands of miles is not a great methodology - time and dollarswise. I think may be be OK for a pretty clean engine.

But if you want to desludge or even clean a moderate engine, use a cleaner such as AutoRx.

With it's polyester base stock, RL is known to clean, but how well does it clean for an oil and in comparison to diesel oils or even Auto-Rx?
smile.gif

"That is exactly what Castrol claims on their Syntec web site ... that their Syntec bonds to engine parts and therefore is superior."

Oh yeah, and they're a credible lot! What they are probably talking about is ZDDP which is in every motor oil.
rolleyes.gif

sprintman, I'm guilty of the same. Using Schaeffer in my Nissan 2.5L right now. Gonna use Red Line 5W30 this winter (mostly because I had some on hand) then switch back to Schaeffer for a year or more.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Buster in my Outback Redline 5W30 became dirty far quicker than I expected and that was after an RX clean and using Delvac 1 a high detergant/dispersant oil.

Wow, thats impressive especially considering how much D1 can clean. I am putting RL in tonight. I bought 5qts locally. Thanks guys.
cheers.gif

I will have an 8k Redline 5w-40 UOA coming up within the next few months. It will be my 4th oil change on redline, with a good bit of track time on the car. We'll talk some more then.
burnout.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000551

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000646

Above are the two analyses on our JEEP since May of this year. The first describes the vehicle and its use (60k in 28 months), the A-RX clean, and the use of LC and FP.

Am running REDLINE 10W-30 this interval, and

the oil has NEVER looked this dirty. Ever.

So, even after using MOBIL ONE since about 5k, with 5-7k change intervals; the use of LC and FP the past near-20k,

REDLINE is doing some deep-cleaning it would appear.

(Oil in this vehicle has gone from the expected appearance of new oil, to some opaqueness/darkening. But never turning very dark at all, much less black.

As the vehicle will have services which would skew a UOA, there won't be one on this interval.

But the oil is obviously having an effect even after an A-RX clean-out, the use of LC and FP (FP only this interval), and an outstanding UOA in the second analysis (as shown in the above links).

[ October 24, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

Tyrolkid I remember your UOA as the best I've seen. Good to see you have run the same oil for four concurrent changes which few of us here do particularly with Redline and trackwork too in a high HP turbo engine. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back