How weird is this- I enjoy watching Lawernce Welk video's on youtube early Sunday mornings

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Maybe it is a yerning for America of old, or a escape from today's music, but early on Sunday mornings in the Winter, I enjoy watching Lawrence Welk videos on youtube. If this was summer, I would be outside doing something before church.

Lawrence Welk (March 11, 1903 – May 17, 1992) was an American accordionist, bandleader, and television impresario, who hosted the The Lawrence Welk Show from 1951 to 1982. His style came to be known as "champagne music" to his radio, television, and live-performance audiences.

Welk was born in the German-speaking community of Strasburg, North Dakota. He was sixth of the eight children of Ludwig and Christiana (née Schwahn) Welk, Roman Catholic ethnic Germans who emigrated in 1892 from Odessa, Russian Empire (now Ukraine).

Maybe some of us long for our youth, or a time of more "work hard and then relax some". I don't know, but I do enjoy Mr. Welk's shows on youtube. A little piece of positiveness, rest and relaxation in today's world.

Mancinimercer003.jpg

I remember parents and grand parents watching that ( LW). Lots of talent on that show, but its just not my style. I like a variety from classical to metal, but i just can't listen to the big band stuff.

This reminds me of an early time in my life when I would make the the trek to Oshkosh (AKA Aviator Mecca). This guy would set up outside of the campground and wouuld play all day long. He would sell cassette tapes and later CDs to any passer by who would stop.

Reactions: GON
This reminds me of an early time in my life when I would make the the trek to Oshkosh (AKA Aviator Mecca). This guy would set up outside of the campground and wouuld play all day long. He would sell cassette tapes and later CDs to any passer by who would stop.

Had to look up Jerry- thanks for sharing> Jerry starts at 2:50 (of the first posted video), awesome watch for a Sunday morning. His van is a classic to, I remember those vans being popular in the late 70s, early 80s.

All I want to say is, "Wonderful, wonderful....".

Do not forget the coincidence of the dawn of television (the need for shows) and the higher degree of popularity of that kind of music at that time.

As the world sped up/dumbed down, Larwence Welk lost his national hookup. That was when?....'68 or 1970?
LW didn't need to have, "I Love Lucy" numbers to be successful. Alas, weekend programming proliferated (aka competed successfully for ratings) and tastes changed.

Also, not to be argumentitive, there's a difference beteween "big band" and "dance band" music. Just sayin'.

Q: At the top of the show a bubble would pop followed by a whoosh of air sound effect.
What was that air whoosh? ...the air in the bubble equalizing with the atmosphere?

edit: I never saw an accordian fitted with Jones plugs before.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Lawrence Welk was my Grandmother's first cousin, on her Mom's side. She knew him as a kid, though he was several years older. My Grandmother's parents sold their farm in South Dakota and moved north into Canada in the 1920's, since they could take the equity from their farm and start over in Canada with land that was practically free.
I was never into the Lawrence Welk show, way before my time, though I've watched a couple episodes for curiosity's sake.

I imagine you watch Baywatch reruns early on Sunday mornings?
Ironically, Lawrence Welk and Baywatch have similarities. My dad and grandpa used to pick out and argue about their cutest/favorite gal on Lawrence Welk........

....................................................................................................................This may have been dad's favorite
the-lawrence-welk-show-1951_u-L-PJST4N0.jpg
5fd397a1e026c.image.jpg

Back