how to wash/spray car with mineral free water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have distilled water (for drinking) and I want to use it for a car wash. Is there some sprayer I can buy? The weed pesticide sprayers don't work I think.

35.gif

I saw the dealer had some contraption but not sure what it is.

Buy a jug of distilled water and soak a CLEAN chamois with it.

Wash your car with regular municipal water as you normally would, only let the car air-dry completely.

Then, with the distilled water soaked chamois, wipe down the whole car quickly and let it air dry again.

This would probably get rid of that water spot look.

Then wax with Meguire's or something.

"distilled water (for drinking)"

You know you can die from the ion imbalance that could cause, right?

Assuming you mean real distilled, deionized water. Filtered water, bottled water, reverse osmosis water, etc, is a different ballpark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
"distilled water (for drinking)"

You know you can die from the ion imbalance that could cause, right?

Assuming you mean real distilled, deionized water. Filtered water, bottled water, reverse osmosis water, etc, is a different ballpark.

You can drink distilled water. De-ionized water is different from distilled and should not be consumed.

How a out one of those in line filter kits, like ones that use an oil filter? Think one of those hooked up to your outside faucet would trap some of those hard water nasties?

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
How a out one of those in line filter kits, like ones that use an oil filter? Think one of those hooked up to your outside faucet would trap some of those hard water nasties?

I seriously doubt a spin-on filter is going to do anything for dissolved minerals. You need an ion exchange resin bed, reverse osmosis or deionizing filter to get softer water that won't leave hard mineral deposits.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Propflux01

I seriously doubt a spin-on filter is going to do anything for dissolved minerals. You need an ion exchange resin bed, reverse osmosis or deionizing filter to get softer water that won't leave hard mineral deposits.

+1

I use distilled water and the rinseless car wash. Leaves the car spotless and saved water. My hardness here is 50+ and when it dries on the car it takes a hammer and drift to get it off so the RO/distilled is the way to go.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
You can drink distilled water. De-ionized water is different from distilled and should not be consumed.

Deionized water and distilled water are just two techniques to net the same result...water without any dissolved salts in it. Both are designed to get you, essentially, nothing but dihydrogen monoxide with nothing else in it.

And drinking that will strip calcium and other stuff out of your body to reach equilibrium. Drink it all you want but I wouldn't suggest making it a habit. Unless you get enough minerals elsewhere in your diet, drinking it can cause ion imbalance, and that's still bad.

Back on topic... what is your distilled water contained in and how much do you have? Unless you're catching pure rainwater, I'm skeptical you'd have enough and/or could get it moving in a meaningful enough volume to properly rinse a car.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
...I'm skeptical you'd have enough and/or could get it moving in a meaningful enough volume to properly rinse a car.

Nobody here is talking about rinsing except for you.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I use distilled water and the rinseless car wash.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: gofast182
...I'm skeptical you'd have enough and/or could get it moving in a meaningful enough volume to properly rinse a car.

Nobody here is talking about rinsing except for you.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I use distilled water and the rinseless car wash.

To me, part of washing the car is rinsing it. If you start from the beginning you'll find Smoky14 is not the OP, which is who my question was directed to, and they haven't specified much of anything regarding their method/intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back