How to use a coolant flush 'N fill kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I just got a coolant flush 'N fill kit made by prestone. It has an instruction but I can't not apply for my 2001 Acura 3.2 CL. There are some videos in youtube but not for the Acura. Please let me how to use this kit.

Here are pictures.
IMG_3264.jpg

hose2.jpg

Thanks.

There are three tees. Are none of them the correct size for your radiator hose? You basically cut it in half, install the tee. A garden hose goes into the yellow tube, which attaches to the tee.

My father used to use these. Personally, for a couple bucks I buy a few gallons of distilled water and drain/fill/drive a couple times.

Heater inlet hoses in modern cars don't always run to the top of the engine. In our 2003 Olds Alero with a 2.2 liter ecotec engine, it runs a short distance from the firewall to the back of the engine and hooks into the water pump there.

I notice that drawing also shows a carburetor. It probably hasn't been updated in the last quarter century or so.

These kits are not worth it. Think about it, you are creating additional points of leakage and splicing plastic parts of unknown quality into your manufacturer designed cooling system. I know these were popular "back in the day" when yearly flushes were needed, but I didn't care for them then either. With today's longer life coolant you shouldn't mind spending an extra hour or so flushing the manual way. Just drain it, fill w/water a couple times to flush then add your coolant and be happy the next few years.

I've used the T's for years on many different vehicles with zero issues. But, with the the increased use of aluminium in cooling sytems, and subsequent increased distilled water recommendation, I now use multiple drain and distilled fill method.

Hardest part of T is finding the correct hose, and an accessible spot.

I wish I could help you. In the old days the one hose came from the fire wall to the water pump (lower hose), the other hose (upper) came to the top, closer to the thermostat. You cut the second one.

I went to an Acura parts website last night with diagrams. I could not identify in the pics/diagrams which hose it would be.
21.gif

I use the T's for every coolant change. I temporarily mount the T with a short section of hose, do the flush, and remove it.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
These kits are not worth it. Think about it, you are creating additional points of leakage and splicing plastic parts of unknown quality into your manufacturer designed cooling system. I know these were popular "back in the day" when yearly flushes were needed, but I didn't care for them then either. With today's longer life coolant you shouldn't mind spending an extra hour or so flushing the manual way. Just drain it, fill w/water a couple times to flush then add your coolant and be happy the next few years.

I have to disagree. I have the Prestone kit on both of our vehicles, with no issues. As far as adding plastic to the system, they seem to have plenty of that anyway! To find the correct hose, a quick trip to the local Acura dealer's service department should provide you with the answer. Go for it!

I've got a diagram of heat core assembly which shows me some hoses. Could the hose be on the back side of engine?

Thanks.

I found a diagram also. It's one of these two hoses coming off the fire wall. IMO, it's either #4 or #2. The one that doesn't run to the water pump should be it.

13s3m0_b1730.gif

I remember going to a service garage MANY years ago to get "qualified mechanic" advice regarding the correct hose and the answer I got was "if you don't know what you are doing, you should have a real mechanic do it". With that attitude, I chose to never spend any money there.

I did figure it out and also used ledslinger's method to splice in a temporary hose, then return the system back to it's original set up.

My tap/well water is way too hard to use in a cooling system and is the main reason I don't use the flush kits (used to have DI water available years ago).

Good luck Ryan.... and GO LUGNUTS!

The correct hose was #2 on the diagram. Also the kit works great and convinent. It took me 15 minutes to drain and refill completely. I recomand to do the job on the rainy day if you don't have a right place to dispose the old coolant.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back