How to unravel CCleaner's deletion process???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
I am a basic-use computer user. Store pics, documents and bookmarks. CCleaner's default settings allows it to erase all kinds of stuff, inside a host of different categories.

Anyone here can tell me what's safe to delete?...... outside of the usual.... like temp files and cookies. Can someone list what checkmarks I can keep for deletion and which I need to uncheck and not delete?

Last edited:
There's rarely any need to change the default settings. It does not get rid of user data like pics and documents, only temporary junk you'll never miss.

I use the default settings except for the cookies save option. If you insist on removing other stuff in the advanced section, it usually issues a warning to alert you to what changes it can cause. If you don't like the change warning, just uncheck the box and no foul. Ed

I've used it to wipe all free space after a clean OS install, before I gave away a laptop to a family member.

Normally, the default setting will remove he majority of the clutter.

I noticed CCleaner wipes out my log-ins so I have to log back into websites after running it. Still haven't figured out which setting it allowing that to happen.

I usually just clean up my hard drive using the OS "Disk Cleanup" tool instead and just use CClean to clean up the Registry.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I noticed CCleaner wipes out my log-ins so I have to log back into websites after running it. Still haven't figured out which setting it allowing that to happen.

I usually just clean up my hard drive using the OS "Disk Cleanup" tool instead and just use CClean to clean up the Registry.

Really? It's right in one of the check boxes.

Cookies.

Yeah, probably the cookies, but I swear I disabled that checkbox once and it still wiped out my log-ins. I use SuperAntiSpyware to clean up cookies instead of CCleaner; it doesn't delete the cookies used for log-ins.

we use it at work. What contains the most amount of data is the IIS logs.

Sometimes 20gb or more. Delete those. This is on windows 7 machines it was a pig about keeping logs forever.

Go to Options/Cookies and then transfer the cookies for the sites that you want to save to the right side where it says "Cookies To Keep." Just click on the cookie and click the right arrow to move it. Sometimes, there will be multiple cookies for a site, so get all of them.

Been using ccleaner for years. Yesterday was the first time ever something happened. The system was unresponsive, unbootable after a clean. Just got it back after hours of an F8 HP factory format/re-install. Only option that worked.

Its a win10 intel HP laptop I got for Christmas. I think it was checking "Old Windows Installation" that caused the problem.. Don't check that one if you have a new win10, let the system delete that on its own after a month.. That was a PIA to fix!

In CCleaner I like to uncheck these options because I find the lists useful:
- Recent Documents
- Other Explorer MRUs
- Taskbar Jump Lists

I also uncheck "Empty Recycle Bin" because I prefer to manage the recycle bin myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back