How to unclog rear sunroof drains that cant be seen?

This is on a 2010 Jetta. The drain that runs down the C pillar us obviusly clogged, but I cant even see where it is. Ive got a good amount of water running onto the headliner and down the C pillar. Im not sure where the drain is, but I was thinking of coming in from the bottom with some kind of snake? Or is there a chmical solution that would maybe unclog the gunk? The drivers side seems to be OK, so Im gonna try to pour water in that drain and see if I can locate where it dumps on the ground and try to snake some weed eater line in there. Any other thoughts?

#1, Don't use air or water pressure! You risk blowing the hose off the fitting inside the roof.
Most people have had success with using weed eater string.
Maybe a little water up by the roof lip so you know when you get to the clog.

In other words, you have a good plan.

I used liquid plumber on a clogged a/c drain tube on my house once. It freed it right up. No amount of water or blowing would do it. I did make sure though that it was compatible with PVC. You'd assume that with plumbing but some are not. You probably don't have pvc but may just want to read the label before you pour something in.

Might also make a semi-airtight seal with your fingers and blow compressed air in. EDIT ok so that was a bad idea.

Also snake - cheap ones at home depot, etc.

The tool used by the dealership is a "snake" wire. A weed eater line can be used.

A problem with all VW sunroofs is the trap at the end of the drain hose, it tends to clog up and cause water to back up. If you can access it, remove it, to avoid future issues.

Can't view youtube at work....

Well, good news and terrible news. I did find the drain and was able to improve the flow. Unforunately, it looks like the connection between the sunroof and drain line has failed. Im getting good flow from the drain, but Im still getting some water down the C pillar. I guess I need to drop the passenger half of the headliner.

Well, good news and terrible news. I did find the drain and was able to improve the flow. Unforunately, it looks like the connection between the sunroof and drain line has failed. Im getting good flow from the drain, but Im still getting some water down the C pillar. I guess I need to drop the passenger half of the headliner.
That's another common issue with VW sunroofs, the hose connectors, can get leaky. Some have used RTV Silicone adhesive to seal the hose connector joints.

On my Beetle, the drain hose ran down the trim piece on the side of the windshield. I had to pop that off and had nearly full access. If it is the connection at the windshield, then the headliner must be removed. Not fun…..

Back