How to transport an engine in the back of a van?

Need to move a 4 cylinder engine to my storage in a passenger van. I can get it into and out of the van with an engine crane. Right now it's on the ground on top of an old tire. Shaky at best. I don't see any tire downs inside the van I could secure it too. If I lay the engine on it's side, any chance of oil leaking out?

Drain the oil !
Find some way to secure it, if you have to brake hard with the engine unsecured you're, a dead man.

If I lay the engine on it's side, any chance of oil leaking out?
Maybe. You can certainly drain the oil while you transport it. You can build a crate around it, sit it inside that crate on an old tire or two, and find a way to secure that. There is no way I'd drive with it inside a van not strapped down.

Drain any fluids, place it on a pallet that fits in your car, get some straps from HF and strap it to the pallet. Put a tarp under the pallet in case there's some leftover fluids that did not drain out. Try to not make any sudden stops.,,,

Drain any fluids, place it on a pallet that fits in your car, get some straps from HF and strap it to the pallet. Put a tarp under the pallet in case there's some leftover fluids that did not drain out. Try to not make any sudden stops.,,,
just did this w/ my old 2002 engine. get some 2x4's and make a cradle on top of the pallet to steady the engine, make life easier, nothing fancy, just something to help keep it upright

I've done engines in pickup trucks. Build a wood frame/scaffold under it. Secure it to the frame.

Load it and then, and this is critical, secure it to the frame of the van.

If you can't do that, then please rent a pickup and secure it in the bed.

Hard braking is one issue. Much more severe is the issue of a crash, in which the engine keeps going, and it is dangerous enough to kill anyone in its path.

Maybe go to a shop that’s around you and see if they have any engine crates to put it in they may give you one or sell it to you cheap. If not get some old tires and set it on or use a truck I have a passenger van and truck and I’d haul it with my truck before I would my van.

Put it on a pallet, strap it to the pallet, then run straps from the pallet under the rear door to the bumper or frame of the van. OR even just put it on the tire, with something under it to catch any fluids, and strap the engine to the frame or bumper like I said. Try to drive carefully. The trick to that is drive like you don't have brakes, or VERY bad brakes

You could also look around for an old sofa someone threw out and take the cushions and use those to wedge the sides of the motor against the interior of the van. How far are you transporting this engine?

Going 55 miles. Not scrounging around for discarded sofas not that there would be any in this area. Not renting anything for a $300 or $400 engine. Do have a few more tires I could use as padding.

The engine weighs several hundred pounds, at a minimum, and you don't want risk that becoming a projectile. Even in a pickup truck, you'd want to strap it down to the stake pockets or other in-bed anchor points. In a van, I'd ratchet-strap it snugly to the passenger seat mounts themselves---they have to be stout enough to deal with the loads exerted by crashing passengers that could weigh as much as your engine. Pad the seatbacks to keep the messy/sharp bits of the engine from messing up the seats if they're still in nice condition.

Assuming you read and understand the previous comments concerning safety.... if you don't have time to put together a proper cradle, I'd put the engine in 2 or 3 contractor trash bags and set it on a tire and hope for the best. Hopefully, it's a short trip.

Need to move a 4 cylinder engine to my storage in a passenger van. I can get it into and out of the van with an engine crane. Right now it's on the ground on top of an old tire. Shaky at best. I don't see any tire downs inside the van I could secure it too. If I lay the engine on it's side, any chance of oil leaking out?
Get a pallet and use several ratchet straps to secure it.

Back