How to transfer iTunes, contacts iPhone 4 to SIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I transfer the iTunes library and contacts, etc. from the iPhone 4 S to the Samsung Galaxy SIII? The SIII came, and I need to figure out a way to export the contacts and iTunes library FROM the iPhone 4 S.. TO the SIII. Also, need general use tips about the SIII.. I need to contact Boost Mobile today. (For my friend.) Thanks!

The music library could be problematic. There are a few apps available for Android that will read an iTunes playlist, but there are no good alternatives that I found when I was using an Android phone. You can manually drag-and-drop your music to your Android phone. That's as good as it got for me. Apps like Double Twist purport to sync iTunes playlists, but I personally didn't have much luck with it.

Your contacts could be easier, depending on where they are stored on your iPhone. If they are stored on the PHONE itself, you can probably manually export them and import them on your Android phone. If your contacts are stored in Gmail or Hotmail or whatever service you use for that, they should sync right over with little manual intervention required.

We went through this last year when we replaced our Android phones with iPhones. Only about half of our contacts rolled over. It turns out that Google stored contacts in multiple contact lists. Some were on the phone itself, some were in Gmail itself, some showed up in Gmail on an "alternate contact list"... It was a real mess.

The cost of an sIIi would have paid a good amount towards that Volvo timing belt. My wife still runs an iPhone 4 and there are no issues.

Just saying... Since every other post is an issue with the car.

I thought you were selling the phone now?

And why upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an S3, seems me a retrograde step to me. I have just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from a Galaxy S (i19000) and don't see the point of your change, especially at the price you paid.

But what do I know, I wouldn't put a phone that high in my list of priorities and if my discount upgrade wasn't due I would have stuck with the Galaxy S. £109 for an iPhone 5 seemed a good deal.

Windows or Mac for the contacts? Either way best to sync your iPhone with either Address Book (Mac) or Outlook (PC). Then sync that with Google.

For the music, when I had a Droid I used iSyncr. Worked well enough for me.

Other than that I can't offer much as I gave up on the poor Android "Experience".

I don't know about contacts since I've always used Google contacts but music is easy. Download Google music on the computer with iTunes. Then set the Google music default folders to your iTunes folder. It will automatically upload your iTunes music into Google music. Then set your phone to download songs from Google music onto the device. It's all wireless.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I don't know about contacts since I've always used Google contacts but music is easy. Download Google music on the computer with iTunes. Then set the Google music default folders to your iTunes folder. It will automatically upload your iTunes music into Google music. Then set your phone to download songs from Google music onto the device. It's all wireless.

So, can the phone sync the library that is already on the phone to Google Music? Or.. iTunes first, then Google Music?

My friend is petrifiedthat when that sync to iTunes happens, it will take off songs that I added, as in delete them, and they won't come back.

Can I drag/drop the songs from the phone to a folder, then set the Google Music folder to that folder?

I am also trying to figure out why iSyncr says it needs iTunes. Again, my friend believes that when iTunes is installed on this computer and it asks this computer to be a recognized device, it will take away all non-purchased files...

Google music just uploads music from the iTunes folder on the computer to the Google music cloud. It's as if you dragged the songs from the iTunes folder to the music cloud. If the songs are on the iPhone and not in the iTunes folder on the compute, it will not upload to g music.

Once in the cloud, it downloads to the s3.

Last edited:
Samsung Kies has a migration feature that may be useful here. It supports migration from all major smartphones.

Well.. This thing won't activate on Boost Mobile, so. Need to see what I can do now.
smirk.gif

Asking someone to flash it.. she spent the money not me, so at least that is *some* relief.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

My friend is petrifiedthat when that sync to iTunes happens, it will take off songs that I added, as in delete them, and they won't come back.

When I used iSyncr it never asked to be an authorized computer in iTunes. It navigated the file structure and put the files on my Droid X.

You could also just go into the iTunes folder and copy to the phone from either the Finder (Mac) or Windows Explorer.

Quote:
I am also trying to figure out why iSyncr says it needs iTunes. Again, my friend believes that when iTunes is installed on this computer and it asks this computer to be a recognized device, it will take away all non-purchased files...

I've not seen that happen on the computer side of things. However, my experience is more on the Mac side of things but I can't believe it's different on Windows.

iPhone was set to sync to iCloud not computer. I changed the setting in the iphone to sync to the computer and then changed iTunes to sync contacts to google instead of outlook and all the contacts showed up on the Samsung galaxy s3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back