How to tell if green or gold GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK where the heck is the lot number on the GC oil? I went to AutoZone the other day and found some German Castrol but could not find the "M0501xxxxxxx ...just wher is it on the bottle.

Thanks

Tom
Cape Cod

Some bottles don't have it.
In that case you'll have to examine the oil itself.

99 case2,
So the lot number is actually stamped into the plastic on the bottom of the bottle. I was looking at the label on the back and could not find it on the German stuff they had at the local Autozone. I did in frustration open a bottle of German and it was gold...

Thanks...of to AZ

bp,

I don't believe the numbers reference the week...I beleive it is the Julian date and this has correlated to the time of year certain batch numbers have appeared. The number above tells me that this batch was produced on the 188th day of 2004. If you start watching the numbers I think you will see a direct correlation. For example, M050XXX appeared in Feb or March which would relate to a Jan or Feb production date (depending on which numbers followed the 050...0501XXX would indicate production in the second week of Jan...0502XXX, the end of Feb etc. This follows the logic of the sequence too as the time of day accompanies the designation of the specific Julian date, e.g. 14 Jan at 1055.

Thanks very much for the info. Just returned from the closest AZ and out of 12 bottles found one that was M042806..Ya-hoo I have been bitten by the Elves. Went home and told the Mrs I was off on a quest to the other 2 AZ in my ares...she just shook her head. Question: does it only come on 0-30 as that is the only GC pre or post m501 that I have found. Again thanks everyone: I must have spent 10 min last week at AZ looking at the label on the back.....never thought to look at the bottom.

Tom

You can also see the green tint to the oil thru the side marker, or just pop the lid off it.

Anything M0501 and below is green.

I just found some old M03 stuff the other day.

quote:

Originally posted by 92FXR:
Thanks very much for the info. Just returned from the closest AZ and out of 12 bottles found one that was M042806..Ya-hoo I have been bitten by the Elves. Went home and told the Mrs I was off on a quest to the other 2 AZ in my ares...she just shook her head. Question: does it only come on 0-30 as that is the only GC pre or post m501 that I have found. Again thanks everyone: I must have spent 10 min last week at AZ looking at the label on the back.....never thought to look at the bottom.

Tom

0W30 only...
welcome.gif
to the village of the Elves

Just got back from 2 other AZ,s and found another 9 bottles at one of them at $4.79 each. Thanks again for all the help, now I just need to get a car to use it in. Just kidding, I maintain 3 Saabs and a BMW for the family.

Tom

OK, I must have read wrong or was misinformed about the date code. I guess that makes more sense.

As for the date code printed, it is sometimes missing, partialy printed (I have a few that are missing the first few #'s, but I know are M02 from the label) or are crammed together that make it illegible.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
OK, I must have read wrong or was misinformed about the date code. I guess that makes more sense.

As for the date code printed, it is sometimes missing, partialy printed (I have a few that are missing the first few #'s, but I know are M02 from the label) or are crammed together that make it illegible.

Sometimes the Elves slip the old Elfe Meister some inside info so he can stay ahead of you aggressive young followers of The Green.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back