How to tell if dealer used the M1 oil I supplied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had an oil change in my 2003 Pontiac Vibe. I brought in my own Mobil 1 5W-30. I suspect that the dealer is not using my M1 oil. Can an oil analysis find out the truth? Thanks.

If you do a virgin oil analysis on the oil before taking it in, and then sample it right after the oil is changed, you probably can. The new Mobil 1 has Moly, and if they are using their own oil it probably doesn't have moly. Also you could compare some of the other elements to see if they are in the right range.

take a sample now, it's probably prety close to virgin. Why have the dealer change your oil?

--Matt

What I do is make sure the service writer place a sentence in the service order (as an addendum) that you sign, stating that customer supplied lubricants will be installed in vehicle.

If the sentence isn't in the contract, don't sign it.

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
take a sample now, it's probably prety close to virgin. Why have the dealer change your oil?

--Matt

Because they only charge $15 and oil filter already included. How do you beat that price?

How do I collect an oil sample now? I have ordered a free sample kit from one of the sponsors of this site but it is going to take days.

[ January 06, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: samsvr6 ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
What I do is make sure the service writer place a sentence in the service order (as an addendum) that you sign, stating that customer supplied lubricants will be installed in vehicle.

If the sentence isn't in the contract, don't sign it.

Even with that statement in the write up, there is still no guarantee they use the supplied oil.

The only way to guarantee they put it in is to ask if you can watch them do it.

Or better yet, do it yourself.
smile.gif

I often wonder the same thing. One thought: you can ask for the empty bottle(s) back.

At my last dealer visit...I saw the empty 4L jugs for myself. Unless you have a shady mechanic and/or backyard garage, most reputable large scale dealerships are required to have the parts department bill the service department for "parts" (and oil is a part with it's own part #) so everything is accountable. But, you never know...

I had an incident where I requested the "BMW synthetic" (5-30), but when I saw the bill it said 15-40 (Conventional). When confronting the dealer, the mechanic swears he pulled the bottles from the box of "synthetic oil" as my service invoice said: "customer requests synthetic" and the parts guy remember dispensing the box of synthetic so I got "a break" because I didn't get charged for the synthetic. Took their word for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back