How to store a block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need this block (4cyl Honda) till 2010. Are blocks anything like cranks in that if you don't store them in the proper position, they'll warp? Here are the options:

1. Lay the block on it's side with the caps+girdle on.

2. Lay it flat without the caps+girdle on.

3. I don't have a stand and would rather not have to buy one till 2010 summer when I'll assemble the shortblock. Is this one of the better options? I'd imagine it wouldn't be. Hanging off a stand must put a lot of stress on it right?

Last edited:
The only thing I would be concerned about is the cylinder walls rusting a bit from the natural moisture in the air. You might want to rub some wheel bearing grease on the cylinder walls before storing and then wipe it off just before assembly.
wink.gif

Here is what my brother and I did . We sprayed CRC into all areas of the engine block that we couldn't soak with oil. Then we took STP and mixed it with engine oil 70/30 mix. Liberally coated everything we could, then wrapped the engine with HD plastic garbage bags and put the engine away. We made sure to get as much air out of the bags as possible. About 2 years later we used that block to build a boat engine. No problems.

At room temperature, engine metals will not warp from being stored in any particular position, especially cast iron.

However you store the engine, it'll probably see no more stress than if installed in a car. If warpage is a problem, then the engine in my 38-year-old Cutlass would have been scrapped a long time ago.

I agree that rust is your main concern. Spend some good time to prep the engine to keep the internals from rusting.

Check your military surplus store for some cosmoline or similar substance.
Other than that, keep it oiled or greased. Cleaning will be a major project later. Rust is the killer to be avoided.

BTW, crankshafts can be stored in any position. That is an old myth about special positions. They will never warp from gravity. Consider the forces acting on them when the engine is running, and even then they don't warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back