how to slash a tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

This afternoon I tested the air in my tires and topped them off. On one of the rear ones, there was a cut in it, 3/4 of the way out on the sidewall, almost where the tread starts.

It looks odd... its not straight and smooth, like a knife cut would be; some of it looks like a rough rip, some of it, a smoother crescent-shaped tear. The tire holds air fine, and seems fine.

The funny thing is, my old roomate in college had both rear tires slashed (at least we thought). The cuts on each of those rear tires look suprisingly similar to the one on my tire.

What does a 'slashed' tire hole look like? How would the hole look?

BMW reccomends against rotating tires, so the tire will stay on the rear. All the same, the tires only have about 15k miles on them, and the tread is nearly 100%. However, if it is a significant blowout hazzard, I will replace it, or see if they cant patch it from the inside before it ever breaks loose at that point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JMH

I would think that the point of a "slashed" tire would be to generate a flat, so I think we can rule that out.

When tires roll down the highway, if they encounter some debris, it may leave a cresent shaped mark. It's kind of hard to describe, but cut a circle out of cardboard and hold a pencil halfway towards the center and roll the "wheel".

I think you ought to consider replacing the tire. Sidewalls can't be repaired and blowouts can have pretty ugly consequences.

Thanks!

It was so odd when my old roomate had identical looking hols on both rear tires, and odd that the not quite hole on the back tire of my car looks the same.

I had a blowout on the rear of my 83 MB diesel once - a plow made a nasty piece of shopped up pavement. The car was stable! But the BMW is much lighter...

Thanks,

JMH

If it's on the outermost bulge part I wouldn't worry. Tires have built-in "curb rubbers" by design.

Post a pic if you can get one up to be sure.

If it's any help, my mother's car had a tire with a nice gash in the tread area. We drove a couple of interstate trips FL-MI-MA with no problems. Afterward, I changed the tire anyhow... I just didn't feel safe.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
It was so odd when my old roomate had identical looking hols on both rear tires, and odd that the not quite hole on the back tire of my car looks the same.

I suspect that the cause is similar - something elevated above road surface level - like a curb or perhaps falling off the pavement.

I had my tire slashed by the corner of a protruding brick used as driveway edging, I must have hit it just right while turning. I would replace the tire, sidewall integrity is important for tire safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back