How to remove this subframe bushing?

Actually I just need to remove the bolt that I cut in half up top, but figure I could pound it out of the bushing easier if I got the bushing out of the subframe. If I try to turn the bolt with a socket on the bottom, it's just twisting the rubber of the bushing. Part no longer available so don't want to damage it. 06 Saturn Vue.

Subframe insulator.jpg

I've replaced similar bushings on my 528e. The "right" way requires a fancy puller that only a dealership or a specializing shop would have. The "mye28.com" hack was to sawzall out the rubber, then split the shell with with the sawzall, a punch. and a 2lb hammer. But you want to reuse the bushing. To save the bushing will require you to split the socket it was driven into 16 yrs ago and then has corroded into place. Possibly, you split the socket with a grinder and that will release the bushing. Then weld up the split or get another sub-frame. Is the Vue worth the trouble? And wasn't the Vue a rebadged something or other? maybe the bushing is out there. Whatever, please post your progress. :cool:

I've replaced similar bushings on my 528e. The "right" way requires a fancy puller that only a dealership or a specializing shop would have. The "mye28.com" hack was to sawzall out the rubber, then split the shell with with the sawzall, a punch. and a 2lb hammer. But you want to reuse the bushing. To save the bushing will require you to split the socket it was driven into 16 yrs ago and then has corroded into place. Possibly, you split the socket with a grinder and that will release the bushing. Then weld up the split or get another sub-frame. Is the Vue worth the trouble? And wasn't the Vue a rebadged something or other? maybe the bushing is out there. Whatever, please post your progress. :cool:
I did the same repair on my old 530i, and as difficult as it was to get the bushing out it was much more daunting to install a new one without the tool. The install tool has tangs and holders to keep the rubber from compressing during installation. I ended up renting the tool from some guy on the Internet.

Looks similar to w123 bushings. Spray them, use a long lever to pry out from different angles. For yours, the long lever would go here:

E97EBB1A-0632-480B-A2A9-0B9026D39B64.jpeg

Then press new ones in with a tool. This was my 1982 300CD with 163k miles

3A38879A-9EF9-47E4-9CB9-F4162853ECED.jpeg
F099F44B-D25F-4932-AF5D-1B2E9355BD18.jpeg

A66AF923-DBCE-42C7-8FD6-DAE3A135A8ED.jpeg
0CCD7A7E-DDFC-4647-BFAA-1CA3DE0BD7C5.jpeg

Write up and pictorial here:

Back