How to remove this broken exhaust bolt?

Both broke off so I cut off the remains flush with the flange on the first one. I can drill it but don't think I have a straight shot, plus it gets pretty tedious. On the other side there is a welded on bolt. Can I just cut THAT off instead? Seems a lot quicker and I doubt I would save it anyway by drilling.

IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5403.JPG

Get in there with a side cutting wheel and grind/ cut the outer spot weld off that nut. Once you have it about half cut you can use a hammer and punch from below to send it through. Replace with a non-welded nut.

edit, well that would work for the "easy" one, maybe use a c-clamp for the other side, or like the others said pull the manifold. A torch would disappear those problems, too. Shore up the gaping holes with decent washers.

Honda?

That is a pretty special bolt.

iu

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to grind or drill it no mater what. Gotta get something out of the way.
Yea that's it. Went with the Walker Kit for less than one Honda bolt. Much thicker so the head won't snap off when removing in 20 years.

91vul17m-mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

90 deg air drill and very short bits? Might be possible in the hands of someone who is extremely skilled.

But most likely, you will need to remove the manifold.

Bottom one went as planned in post 6. Upper one had no access to the welded nut on the back side. Got as much of the bolt off from the front with a Dremmel. Then drilled and tapped the remains of the old bolt. Wasn't perfectly centered but good enough. Took all afternoon. Started with small bits and worked up to larger ones. Snapped 3 or 4 along the way.

IMG_5407.JPG

Back