How to remove straw from car lock?

So was lubricating a door lock on the car where key can be inserted manually to unlock the car using an extension straw.

For some reason straw got stuck and broken inside the door luck, now when I try to insert the key, it's not going all the way.

Is there a trick or a way to fix it? I know, totally an idiotic question, but learned my lesson to not push it too much!

Thank you (y)

Bend up a paperclip?

Every time I've lubricated locks with WD-40 (you'd be surprised how much smoother they turn,) I always just sprayed some, including some on the key, then put key in.
.the last car I had, I never used the key on the doors at all. Simply keyless with the fob.

That is a tough one. Try a needle that just fits inside the straw then with a file rough it up even file a couple of barbs in it then try to push it into the broken piece by feel and pull it out.

What if I heat up a small needle and then push it in and see if it can melt up the plastic piece? Would it damage it?

That's a tough one. That plastic isn't going to disappear just from heating it up. Do you have a compressor? Might be able to blow the chucks out.

Try two bent up paperclips.. like chopsticks?

Maybe melting it out would work if you used the key.
That's a tough one. That plastic isn't going to disappear just from heating it up. Do you have a compressor? Might be able to blow the chucks out.

And some penetrating lube after...

Or needle-nosed pliers...

A couple of ways this could go..

Be careful, but it's just plastic...

I don't have a compressor unfortunately and was thinking to heat up a small flat screw driver or the actual key, then see if the plastic would melt and stick with it? Not sure if inside of the lock are metal or plastic too?

I don't have a compressor unfortunately and was thinking to heat up a small flat screw driver or the actual key, then see if the plastic would melt and stick with it? Not sure if inside of the lock are metal or plastic too?

I think a propane torch heating up perhaps the cylinder itself and/or the tip of the key.. All you need is a little bit of "bite" on the edge of that broken straw, and it just may come out.

Please, next time just spray the lube (WD-40,) my car I just use the key fob every single time but, that's me.

Also maybe a can of compressed air.. I still have about 10 cans, back when I had to refill R12 systems and used the R152a to do so (compressed air is that, they may try to tell you it isn't, it is, they may try to tell you there is a bitterant, whether there is or is not, the gas still performs the same. This is why you can't usually find compressed air at stores in the summer.)

Last edited:
I think a propane torch heating up perhaps the cylinder itself and/or the tip of the key.. All you need is a little bit of "bite" on the edge of that broken straw, and it just may come out.

Please, next time just spray the lube (WD-40,) my Subaru I just use the key fob every single time but, that's me.

Also maybe a can of compressed air.. I still have about 10 cans, back when I had to refill R12 systems and used the R152a to do so (compressed air is that, they may try to tell you it isn't, it is, they may try to tell you there is a bitterant, whether there is or is not, the gas still performs the same. This is why you can't usually find compressed air at stores in the summer.)

Using a torch around the door might not be a good idea.

If the plastic melts it is not going to make it come out easier. Just the opposite.

Which vehicle is this?

I agree a fishing hook. I am wondering though why would you use a straw for that lol what I always just spray the key and do it that way

Well, why you would put the straw in the cylinder when the spray lube gets in there, could also do it by spraying the key. But things happen.

WD-40 lubes up lock cylinders quite well..

I wonder if shooting some PB blaster in there will help the situation.

This is the first time I tried to push the straw bit too much, never happened before, but there's always a first time to learn and move on, key fob works perfectly fine.

But rather have the lock working too, for one of those days, I tried to use a small cotter pin by sliding in and out, no luck. Key is not going fully inside, obviously the plastic pipe piece is stuck and it's for Honda Pilot.

Back