How to remove rust from chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small spot of rust forming on my chrome bumper of my 03 silverado truck. How should I go about removing this? I wish I still had a warranty.

Doesn't the warranty on paint last longer than just mileage?
dunno.gif

Chrome Cleaner/Polish/whatever they call it. You should be able to pick up a can at a hardware or auto parts store.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

edit: I used to use this stuff ALL THE TIME on my bicycle rims when I was younger.

I will have to double check on the paint warranty, but with over 60,000 miles already I wasn't holding my breath.

Thanks for the input both of you. And FAST!

once you remove the rust, if it is from a chip in the chrome itself, it will reappear in short order. To stave that off a bit longer, a light coat of a clear gloss like krylon will seal the chip from air. If it is a large area, "chrome-colored" paint would look less-bad...well, better than rust that is.

You need to seal it from air/moisture. No, wax won't do that.

neither (paint nor clear gloss) will last forever but it will slow it down from re-appearing and either beats re-chroming the entire bumper.

windex + steel wool

Yes, tape the area off and use a clear enamel paint. I had a spot of rust on my rear bumper on my Ford.

Rub it with a wadded up piece of aluminum foil. Some say it works better if its wet or used with a bit of Coca Cola, but I can't tell the difference.

yes, steel wool works the best. You'll want to find #0000 and get the steel wool and the affected area wet first (water works find). Then, very gently make some passes across the chrome and it'll take any and all rust right off without scratching the chrome.

0000 steel wool and wd40 works great for me! Never had it scratch but you MUST use 0000 steel wool any coarser and it will scratch. Just spray the wd40 on the steel wool and rub the rust off then wipe the chrome item off with a clean cloth. I have used this method to clean rust off chrome exhaust pipe tips that were really badly rusted and they turned out like new.

If nothing else works, try some Naval Jelly on it. It's phosphoric acid based, and will remove and neutralize the rust. You can then put a dab of (silver) rust converter on the area, and it will be protected for a long time.....

coke (as in Coca-Cola) will work, with fine steel wool. Just don't get any on the paint. Regardless of how you do it, be sure to wax it real good afterwards to prevent the rust from returning.

"be sure to wax it real good afterwards to prevent the rust from returning. "

forget wax, it won't last. Use clear Krylon, fingernail polish, etc to give it an AIR-TIGHT seal. Wax is not airtight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back