How to remove deck stain from powder coated aluminum?

Several years ago the guy that stained our deck got stain all over the balusters. Of course we could never get in touch with him once we left him a message telling him what he did. This year we removed all of the balusters before we stained the deck and are now attempting to remove the old stain from them with no luck. The product we are trying to remove is PPG Flood semi-transparent acrylic/oil stain. We have tried denatured alcohol, paint thinner, acetone nail polish remover, Goo Gone, and SOS pads. My wife have gone to the store to buy some Goof Off. It will cost over $900 to replace the balusters and I sure don’t want to do that! The balusters in question are Deckarators 74733 traditional balusters. Again, they are powder coated aluminum. Thanks in advance for any help!

Powder coating is a very tough finish. I'm thinking the right stripper will remove the stain but not affect the powder coating underneath.

Powder coating is a very tough finish. I'm thinking the right stripper will remove the stain but not affect the powder coating underneath.
I can't imagine what else you would try, other than lacquer thinner. At some point you will get unlucky and damage the powdercoat if you keep messing around. Painting them will solve the problem. That is what I would do.

If you do decide on the paint option here are some tips.

Another option would be to have it done by someone, especially if it needs to be sandblasted.

Back