how to remove bug stains from clear coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends upon the situation. Baked on? Is the car routinely washed/waxed and they still wont come off? Have they etched the clear?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Depends upon the situation. Baked on? Is the car routinely washed/waxed and they still wont come off? Have they etched the clear?

I have been scrubbing like crazy. I used gas and got all of the tar and bugs off that were above the surface, now I just have a few yellow stains that just won't come out.

Gas? Holy Cow. I take it you don't wax your car.

I'd just use a cleaner wax or possibly a polish. It has a bit of abrasive in it to actually scour the stain away.

If the car is worth waxing....I suggest after you get all the bug gunk off of it, apply 2 coats of ReJex (at least 12 hours apart) onto clean paint....which means washing the car well with Dawn dish soap or Simple Green, drying the car well, and then applying the product.

It's the best. It's cheap. It works really really well. You can also wax on top of it. But don't apply ReJex over wax.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Gas? Holy Cow. I take it you don't wax your car.

I'd just use a cleaner wax or possibly a polish. It has a bit of abrasive in it to actually scour the stain away.

If the car is worth waxing....I suggest after you get all the bug gunk off of it, apply 2 coats of ReJex (at least 12 hours apart) onto clean paint....which means washing the car well with Dawn dish soap or Simple Green, drying the car well, and then applying the product.
I wash it right after I use the gas to remove the yearly build up of tar and bugs that the car wash doesn't get.
It's the best. It's cheap. It works really really well. You can also wax on top of it. But don't apply ReJex over wax.

it's a family members car i wax once a year before it gets put away for winter. I'm cleaning it the best i can before I wax. actually it's an avalon that looks great. i'm probably the only one who will ever see these little stains. they're just on the front valance. I use gas to get rid of tar and bugs that the car wash didn't get. I wash it right after that. I do several thorough washes like this before I wax.

Last edited:
Surprisingly gasoline does work. Car paint is formulated to be gasoline resistant. You'd be surprised but citrus degreaser is actually more damaging to paint than gasoline.

I've used gasoline before for some of the really hard to remove petroleum based stains. Items like bumper sticker residue and it works great for tar stains. But for bugs gasoline is not as good as simple detergent soaking. Specifically enzymatic cleaners work well as they're specifically made to break down proteins. The best and easily most available is liquid Tide clothes washing detergent. Anything that that won't get rid of is likely baked on into the paint and will need polishing.

Last edited:
Stoner's tarminator. Try it or car pro trix. Gas I would stay away from. Auto paint is made to be resistant to gas, but it doesnt mean you should use it. Lots of other, safer options.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Stoner's tarminator. Try it or car pro trix. Gas I would stay away from. Auto paint is made to be resistant to gas, but it doesnt mean you should use it. Lots of other, safer options.

it's safe if you wash it off right away.

Buffalo Milke makes a product called Bug Melt which works on any organic style mess. It emulsifies bugs. Also have used it on my mower decks to remove the grass stains. It cleans that so easy and does not strip the shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back