How to remove baked on brake dust- New ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there any new thinking on how to remove baked on brake dust. I checked the archives. So far no real solution.

I bought some used wheels for winter tires and want to remove the baked on dust on inside of each wheel and some on sopkes.

TIA

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
There were some ideas here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1689090#Post1689090

Here, too: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1662383#Post1662383

Both threads were on the 1st page of this forum.

As i said, I searched and reviewed these threads (and others)and was hoping there were some new/betterideas. Had no luck with these hints. The remaining brake dust is so hard it will not scratch with a finger nail,

+1 and try not to breath it in. Meguiar's Wheel brightener is form their detailer line.

I don't have any Meguiars wheel brightener but I just tried some Ajax powdered cleanser on a damp sponge and it worked the best of anything I've tried yet. I would guess Comet cleanser would work as well, but don't have any of that either.

You do not need to wear gloves or eye protection.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
There were some ideas here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1689090#Post1689090

Here, too: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1662383#Post1662383

Both threads were on the 1st page of this forum.

As i said, I searched and reviewed these threads (and others)and was hoping there were some new/betterideas. Had no luck with these hints. The remaining brake dust is so hard it will not scratch with a finger nail,

Thanks everyone. I will followup on some of these ideas. if I can find something that will soften buildup there may be other options. scuffing the back side of the rims is ok. However, i mwant to retain finish/clearcoat between spokes.

Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
Meguiar's wheel brightener.

Wear gloves and eye protection if you use it.:)

An excellent wheel cleaner, and good advice here.

I detailed a BMW this past weekend and while cleaning the wheels, I got a nice face-full of atomized Wheel Brightener when spraying it on. Yuck. Pay attention to how the wind blows when using this stuff. Works great, though.

Did you actually try the Magic Eraser? I found nothing else (didn't try Meguiar's however, which a few have suggested) worked, not even brake cleaner. The Magic Eraser (in combination with any sort of cleaner (I used some rim cleaner I had (forget which one) then just Castrol Super Clean) worked perfectly. Wish I had some before and after pics..

(QUOTE)Well if you use Ajax, you may as well use rubbing or polishing compound.(QUOTE)

This may all be, but its what I had on hand and it worked on the painted plastic covers I used it on. Ajax also contains cleaners and bleach which rubbing & polishing compounds do not. Didn't want to spend much as new ones at WallyWorld are only around $15.00

Bottom line is---IT WORKED FOR ME.

The orange bottle of Turtle Wax foaming wheel cleaner worked well for me. It has acid in it and a warning about burning skin & eyes. Rinse your hands (and wheels) promptly after use. I could feel it working.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
(QUOTE)Well if you use Ajax, you may as well use rubbing or polishing compound.(QUOTE)

This may all be, but its what I had on hand and it worked on the painted plastic covers I used it on. Ajax also contains cleaners and bleach which rubbing & polishing compounds do not. Didn't want to spend much as new ones at WallyWorld are only around $15.00

Bottom line is---IT WORKED FOR ME.

Thanks I might try on inside of my wheels, but not the front. I suspect it would scratch. BTW,IMO, the wheel covers from Walmart are cheap and generic lloking, not OE, and look terrible on most cars.

{QUOTE}Thanks I might try on inside of my wheels, but not the front. I suspect it would scratch. BTW,IMO, the wheel covers from Walmart are cheap and generic lloking, not OE, and look terrible on most cars.{QUOTE}

Nope it won't scratch, read the container, you'll have more trouble from the hard brake dust particulas scratching and dirt on the wheeles, but use whatever you wish.

You may think the W/M covers look cheap and generic, may be, but they look better on a 10 year old car than with nothing on their wheel, and the car isn't worth spending 100 bucks on expensive ones.

Anyone ever try oven cleaner? It may be too harsh. It might work on inside of wheels to really loosen the really bad stuff.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
{QUOTE}Thanks I might try on inside of my wheels, but not the front. I suspect it would scratch. BTW,IMO, the wheel covers from Walmart are cheap and generic lloking, not OE, and look terrible on most cars.{QUOTE}

Nope it won't scratch, read the container, you'll have more trouble from the hard brake dust particulas scratching and dirt on the wheeles, but use whatever you wish.

You may think the W/M covers look cheap and generic, may be, but they look better on a 10 year old car than with nothing on their wheel, and the car isn't worth spending 100 bucks on expensive ones.

I see your point. I also see many people putting expensive "black or dark gray" wheels on their car so it can look sinister. Go figure??

Originally Posted By: Russell
Anyone ever try oven cleaner? It may be too harsh. It might work on inside of wheels to really loosen the really bad stuff.

Tried oven cleaner for 30 seconds or so on a section inside of one of my wheels. Seems to soften the gunk. This and a magic eraser/toothbrush followed by soapy water and a good rinse may work. Too cold to do much. Will try all wheels when warmer. These are my summer wheels and will try to clean and reinstall in March.

"baked on" is really metal...the old pads were asbestos, and this did not occur...
Anyway...the product to get is Phosphoric acid.
It might be found at hardware store...janitors use it to clean EVERYTHING plumbing-related, as it removes rust stains.
My source of the acid is PURE, 100% !! I dilute it about 1/2 with water..I use it to clean out my CNC EDM machine, again, of powdered metals...
IT DOES NOT HURT PAINT OR CLEAR COAT (EPOXIES/POWDERS)
I have used it for years with no ill effects, and it's cheap.
It rules, even on the worst cases, you will be done in 1 minute per wheel!
BTW: Oven cleaner is Alkaline...that is the opposite approach you want to take. In the machine shop, I spray oven cleaner on a CNC mill that uses oil-based mist coolant..this stuff dries, and gets "gummy"...rubbing alky or oven cleaner are the only things that effect it, the acid has no effect. I made our bathtub look like new with strong acid...calcium/rust GONE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back