How to remove asphalt & aerosol smell from cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Monday I stripped my trunk of all of the carpeting and padding, spare tire and jack, and coated the bare metal with this Duplicolor rubberized undercoating/sound deadener. It was cheap, and I was curious to see if it'd do any good, so I bought 2 cans of it and got to work. The coating contains 28% asphalt, some rubber, and some other things that I can't recall, and to say the least, it smelled awful while applying it. The smell is slowly going away, but still quite prevalent, especially to my wife who isn't in my car every day to get used to the smell. I've put some baking soda in a shoebox in the trunk, and in a plastic cup in the cabin (it's supposed to absorb odor) but I can't really discern much of a difference yet.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to rid my car of this odor? I know sometimes odors just linger for awhile, then go away over time. But I'd rather get this smell out sooner than later.

Tons of black ice air fresheners in the trunk might work, or a box of bounce, or just febreze the heck out of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Tons of black ice air fresheners in the trunk might work, or a box of bounce, or just febreze the heck out of the car.

What would Bounce do? I have one air freshener, but I haven't tried Febreezing it yet. Although that was on the top of my list of things to try next.

When you have a decently nice day, leave the trunk open for a few hours. That will help drastically by letting the stuff finish curing and venting the fumes.

Go into your laundry room and sniff, I bet the only thing you smell is the open box of bounce.

Airing it out is another idea, but its getting cold out...

baking soda work on fishy smell, air out, or take a hair dryer or space heater and blow hot air to the area, keep window open. air fresher only musk the odour. the smell is toxic, and i would air out if it's my car.

definitely air is out. sounds like you over-did the undercoating....not a big fan of that stuff myself....I know jegs has "proper" sound deadening material....but eh, in a pinch you gotta do what you gotta do right
smile.gif

air it out is your best bet.....

I got one of those 12v cigarette lighter port "Ionizers" - supposed to do something with the negative ions in the air, and disperse and it keeps my car smelling good. I ocasionally have passengers who smoke, and the smoke does not linger.....but that aerosol smell can't be good for your health! I'd definitely let it air out.

roll down all the windows about 2 inches, perhaps crack the trunk lid over night; if you live in a quiet neighborhood (or just remove your valuables from the car....)

It is cold out, but I'm leaving my windows cracked open (about 2") for the remainder of the time I'm at work today. I folded down my rear seats so the trunk will also vent through the windows (since I don't want to leave my trunk open in the parking lot).

The hydrocarbons will slowly evaporate out of the coating.
Air fresheners don't really help eliminate this type of smell, although they can cover it to some extent.
Se if you can keep the windows and trunk open when not in use.

Last edited:
FWIW, when I applied the coating last Monday, I was only able to let it dry for like an hour (dry to the touch) before I put all of the carpeting and padding back in the trunk. The carpeting and padding isn't flush or 'tight' everywhere, since it kind of just plops in there, but maybe it still could be restricting airflow and/or ventilation, therefore increasing the length of curing time.

I think what you are doing is all that can be done. Air fresheners will mask the smell. But you need it to vent out so that you are not breathing it.

You can also blast the heat and have the windows open while driving with the seats folded down to air the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back