How To Remove 1/8 Inch Off These Posts?

I need to grind off about 1/8 inch off these posts (6 in total) in the base of my PK Classic Grill. Probably a regular file would work on the straight edges. What would I use in the 4 turns/corners of the base? I have a hand held grinder but it really goes through those little wheels. They get filled up with aluminum quickly.

Sorry bout the pics. Had to run upstairs and get my turkey off my KJ....it had hit temp ;)

There has to be an easier way than what I am doing

Attachments

• IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 103
Get the easy metal out first. Center punch them and use a bullit point drill down the center just smaller than the posts. Mark your bit with tape so you know how deep to go. Then an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel straight in at the bottom of the hole. Dress it up with a file or Dremel stone. But this is a lot for an 1/8" the grinding wheel is about an 1/8" and aluminum is soft, you should be able to just use them as a cut off wheel if your careful to stop at the side of the grill.

Tight access. I think you'll need to use the Dremel cut off wheels , combined with a round file for corners and flat file for flat areas.

As samven said you could drill out some of the metal first.

You could also use some plastic gift cards clamped to the sides to protect them from damage while you are removing metal.

⅛ of a inch is not much. Why do you need to remove that?
I'm using Grill Grates on top of the grill that comes with the PK Grill. The Grill grates side ever so slightly higher so when I manuver my food they will slide off the grill. Pretty frustrating. IF I can get the Grill Grate to sit about 1/8 inch lower in my grill, I am golden. The Grill Grate is a special grate used by steak grilling experts that sits on the grill that comes with the PK.

Most people use aircraft wire or nuts and bolts to attach the Grill Grate to the grill in the PK.

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 18
Which Dremel attachments do I need? I've been using the sandpaper colored cylinder one. It fills up with aluminum quickly.

I was thinking you'd use a cut off wheel on a Dremel, but be careful. I would cut a line 1/8 from top and then turn the cutting wheel sideways to cut the sides. I wouldn't go all the way through, maybe use a small hacksaw blades to finish it up or as others have said drill it out. Then use the file to clean it up.

regular 4.5" angle grinder?

they sell them at hf for 9.99 take about 1min.? to remove .125" or am I missing something.

nice for sharpening lawn mower blades and such too.

Back