How to purchase a "safety" gas can

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Winter is approaching, snowed today in Utah. As happens often I80 was shut down in Wyoming do the storm. I often drive I80 in the winter between Salt Lake City and Denver. Last year during the winter I80 was shut down in Wyoming more often than it was open. I know hard to believe but it is the most brutal winter interstate I have ever traveled. I almost ran out of fuel during a winter storm, and being stuck on I80 in Wyoming last winter. I have a 2002 F350 V10 short bed with a 28 gallon capacity, It can drink fuel fast.

Want to purchase a five gallon gas container I can store in the bed of the truck with confidence reference safety. I would like to keep it in the bed not only in the winter, but also in the summer. The sun in Utah in the summer is super strong.

Any suggestions on what type of gas can to buy?

Reactions: GON
Thanks Gents- just ordered the Justrite. A tip I just found is to find a plastic tote container for the can to sit in. ANd drill some breather holes on the plastic tote. Protects the steel can from getting banged up, paint scratches (rust), etc, while the gas can is in the back of a pickup.

I have a just rite. I keep gas for the generator in the garage.
I have considered getting another new one, and using one of the tank sealing kits on it brand new, before I use it.

One nice feature about the Justrite is that they will auto vent.
The old style plastic cans would swell up on a hot Summer day.

Also they have the screen to prevent any flames from entering back into the Can.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents- just ordered the Justrite. A tip I just found is to find a plastic tote container for the can to sit in. ANd drill some breather holes on the plastic tote. Protects the steel can from getting banged up, paint scratches (rust), etc, while the gas can is in the back of a pickup.
Be careful with the plastic tote and drilling holes. If any water gets into the tote, it will rust the bottom of your gas can.

I keep my 5 gallon Justrite Can in a PLASTIC Milk Crate I bought at Home Depot.

Back