How to properly wash with out contact.

Big Red Sponge and rinseless wash works great

I've never actually tried this, I do have ONR but I use it mainly as a quick detailer and what not. We pretty much never have water restrictions to the point you can't wash your car, so I guess that is why I have never tried it. The concept seems interesting but also seems like it would be much harder on paint.

I've never actually tried this, I do have ONR but I use it mainly as a quick detailer and what not. We pretty much never have water restrictions to the point you can't wash your car, so I guess that is why I have never tried it. The concept seems interesting but also seems like it would be much harder on paint.
Both of my cars are black and both paints have the durability of room temperature butter.

I prefer to use rinseless in the garage to keep myself out of the sun and neither car has swirls worth mentioning. In fact spider strings freak me out because I think they're scratches.

I prefer multiple towels or mitts but the BRS works well too.

I agree rinseless wash and BRB work well. I've used ONR and Ech20 and like both. ONR is my go-to. Such a versatile product. I use it on interiors/glass as well.

For touchless, the Bilt Hamber is impressive. It's the only one I've seen that actually will clean well without touching the surface.

Foam is the lubricant I use on the chenille microfiber Mitt. Whatever is left on the car after contactless wash and foam cannon. Most times I do not make contact with the car using a leaf blower but I do not dry with a towel unless I use the mitt.

They can't be completely avoided. A pro is likely to machine polish once the car is clean & dry. Some foam twice and wash by hand during the 2nd foam. Many use microfiber towels as the wash mitt and use a clean one as the previous one gets dirty.
What causes swirl marks is dirt trapped in whatever is being used to wash the car. That's why a 2 bucket wash method is preferred. I've been using this method for decades and our cars don't have swirls. I use a microfiber wash mitt. I dry the cars with very soft full cotton towels. I don't rub the towels on the paint, but drag them across the paint. On vertical parts of the cars I apply very little pressure on the towel.

Thoroughly rinse out your thick, high-quality microfiber mitt & wash bucket, fill bucket with plain water, toss in the mitt.
Wash entire car with pressure washer.
Coat car with a good car wash soap using a foam canon (recommend Meguiars Ultimate)
Wash car with the wet mitt, occasionally sloshing it around in the bucket to release the dirt it's picked up.
Rinse the car with a garden hose nozzle, then sheet off the water within open-ended garden hose.
Dry car with thick, good quality microfiber drying towels. I recommend using a drying aide that acts as a "wax" or sealer.
Any swirling you may get from this process is unavoidable, which is why God invented random-orbital polishers, pads, and polish.

Big Red Sponge and rinseless wash works great
If and only if you pre-rinse/wet the panel with rinseless wash solution. Otherwise it can be marr city.

Also, that sponge needs to be rinsed out in degreaser every few washes to release the trapped dirt. Here's an example of the dirt that came out after washing several cars.

D00606FD-13F0-4E4A-8264-E657A21F331F.jpeg

(Solution was light pink before I rinsed out the sponge).

The key here is lubricity which minimizes the abrasive action of dirt and dust on the vehicles finish. A good high suds car wash and a microfiber or sheepskin wash mitt with plenty of water will help keep scratches and swirls to a minimum. Also, as others have mentioned, polishing the vehicle when it starts to show micro-scratches will keep it looking great. Plenty of videos out there on automotive finish care. Adam's, Auto Geek, Griots, etc.

If and only if you pre-rinse/wet the panel with rinseless wash solution. Otherwise it can be marr city.

Also, that sponge needs to be rinsed out in degreaser every few washes to release the trapped dirt. Here's an example of the dirt that came out after washing several cars.

View attachment 105421
(Solution was light pink before I rinsed out the sponge).

That is one disadvantage of the sponge in my opinion. It’s easy to wash a microfiber chenille mitt, just throw it in the washer along with the other car washing towels.

Back