How to power cycle a modem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A suggestion to another poster was to power cycle his modem. I don't have a particular problem but I'd like to know what it takes to power cycle a modem. Mine is furnished by Comcast, as I'm on their cable service.
Thank you for any information on this.

If you have a router connected to the modem, instead of directly connecting your computer, you may want to power cycle the router too.

If you are using both, disconnect the power for both the modem and the router.

Power up the modem first, give it a head start of 15 seconds, give or take. Then power up the router. That way, both get a chance to restart.

If your computer is directly connected, you may want to reboot the computer after you power cycle the modem.

I'd also advise folks to be careful about using any "reset" button whether it is a physical or software provided feature.

Many times when you do a hard reset (with the button) you can change settings that are possibly custom to your modem provided by your internet provider.

A power cycle is always a best option to try FIRST before anything else that might change settings on the modem.

I'd bet that the OP has a Motorola SB 5101 or something similar. NO reset button on the unit itself .

Yeah, remove power from everything, wait a minute, then start from beginning to end of the data path to start up.

Cableone recommends that you also remove the input co-ax cable from the modem when doing a power cycle.

Remove the cable, then unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds, re-connect the cable, then plug modem back in.

If your cable modem has battery B/U, This won't work. You have to reset the modem with a call to the cable company. Not sure how you would do this yourself.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
If your cable modem has battery B/U, This won't work. You have to reset the modem with a call to the cable company. Not sure how you would do this yourself.

Naw, you just pull the battery recover, remove the battery, then do it the normal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back