?How to mount Hella's on top of Dakota bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Dodge Dakota. I want to mount a pair of Hella series 500 foglights on top of the bumper, and one central series 500 driving light in the middle. These are the nice big round lights that look so good, and work even better.
But the bumper is covered with plastic --
Do I just drill through the top of the plastic, put the bolt through the hole, and tighten the nut on the opposite side?

Can you afford to get a Pre Runner bar for your lights? I think you get them for about $100. If not, drill baby drill!

I like the neat look of bumper mounted, just need to know if there is any hazard to drilling the bumper, because I can't see under the plastic.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I have a 2008 Dodge Dakota. I want to mount a pair of Hella series 500 foglights on top of the bumper, and one central series 500 driving light in the middle. These are the nice big round lights that look so good, and work even better.
But the bumper is covered with plastic --
Do I just drill through the top of the plastic, put the bolt through the hole, and tighten the nut on the opposite side?

There is probably some steel under there. I would consult your friendly Haynes manual. Will probably come in handy for the wiring job too depending on how you want to run the relays. I too also prefer the look of a bull bar, push bar or full brush guard. Your preference of course. If you go that route, I recommend a stainless or chrome plated stainless. Well worth the money. I had chrome plated and powder coated items in the past only to have them corrode in a little over 3 years. Every little rock ding creates a rust spot. The chrome plated stainless steel brush guard on the 150 looks 95% as good as it did when I bought it back in 2003.

On the topic of lights. I personally recomend stainless steel KC daylighters. (stainless for the same reasons listed for the bull bar etc. Been there done that with ABS housings and steel housings) You can get 100W driving lights and 150W spots. Here again, after 6 years, a little polish every now and then and the stainless lights look great. Something to consider.

If you were wondering, I have 2 100W KC daylighter driving lights and 2 150W KC daylighter spot lights mounted on the brush guard on the front of the 98 F150. All stainless steel. One can make a stop sign glow from 3/4 of a mile. And before I get flamed, Yes I only use the big dogs out in the middle of nowhere where there is no traffic.

one of the Hella sets just came in. they are well designed, because the mount is right at the back end of the lamp, not in the middle like you might expect, to make it more convenient for bumper mounting, and still have the hood clear the thing, when opening hood. i'm getting the haynes manual to help me out, thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I want to mount a pair of Hella series 500 foglights on top of the bumper

! foglights should be mounted as low as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back