How to make Tecumseh engine burn better?

Tecumseh later came out with non adjustable EPA carbs. That was the end for Tecumseh. They never ran well on those carbs. You can buy Chinese carbs of Amazon that have high and low speed mixture screws. It makes a huge difference. Tecumseh engines are known to freeze up the governor in winter and the engine will rev high. The connecting rod generally comes out the engine block. Tecumseh connecting rods cant take much abuse.

I almost prefer Tecumseh over all the rest. For the OP your engine is likely pretty worn from years of neglect and use, small engine mufflers aren't the most flow efficient devices either. Like one fellow mentioned stand off and reversion, even your HF is doing it just not as noticeable.

Tecumseh later came out with non adjustable EPA carbs. That was the end for Tecumseh. They never ran well on those carbs. You can buy Chinese carbs of Amazon that have high and low speed mixture screws. It makes a huge difference. Tecumseh engines are known to freeze up the governor in winter and the engine will rev high. The connecting rod generally comes out the engine block. Tecumseh connecting rods cant take much abuse.
I tried and couldn't kill my Tecumseh. My 1995 Craftsman mower was to be taken to the scrap yard with other items. I drained the oil and ran the engine full throttle. I used up the half tank of gas and the engine was still going.

Connecting rods are the weak link on any small engine.

I have a 20+ year old generator (Sears) powered by a Tecumseh 8hp. You want it to burn better? Convert it to propane.
It purrs!

I had a Craftsman Tecumseh motored lawn mower. It had lots of power but I could not use it to mow a ditch I had because the oil from the crank case would shoot into the carb when it was on an angle. Thats when I started with Lawn-Boy and never looked back.

Back