How to lube a new HFT Ratchet handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 64 piece socket kit with three ratchets in 1/4,3/8,/and 1/2. They are from HFT and are dry as a bone, from the loud clicking. I am afraid I will wake the neighbor's dogs. I have been putting drops of oil on the side with the 'on- off' lever and wondered if I should be oiling on the other side instead. See the photo at the site below.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/64-piece-14-38-and-12-socket-set-67995.html
I didn't feel embarrassed after someone asked about changing the oil on a floor jack.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Leave the heads in a jar of ATF overnight.

This will make it so it leaks oil for a long time, which is a huge PITA, IMO.

Most round head ratchets like this have a retaining ring on the drive side that you remove with a pick. Then you can remove the entire mechanism and add a little oil or light grease. Then reinstall it and you should be good to go.

I do what Trav suggested. In fact, I leave ratchets laying in a foil pan of ATF overnight when they need lubricating.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Most round head ratchets like this have a retaining ring on the drive side that you remove with a pick. Then you can remove the entire mechanism and add a little oil or light grease. Then reinstall it and you should be good to go.

The retaining ring can a pain to put back on, but it is the only way to grease the ratchet correctly. Super Lube seems to be well regarded for this application.
thumbsup2.gif

On Sears wrenches you need a pair of "circlip pliers" to squeeze the clip and pull it out. My Sears wrenches are old enough that they have little oil holes with a spring loaded ball sealer.

Last edited:
I was about to squirt it with Royal Purple Maxfilm in the aerosol can. If it doesn't have circlips, I still might do that. Herr Spahr gives you a big Danke.

Use a light grease. Don't use wheel bearing grease, which may be too heavy and keep the pawl from making full engagement in the ratchet. If the pawl engages only the tip of the pawl, it could be trouble.

Try the ATF trick for overnight and then hang it so that it will drip the excess. If that does not do the trick, then open it up and SuperLube it *lightly*

Of course the best solution is to go back to HFT and get their composite ratchets (about $30 for all three) and throw the ones you have :) Seriously, those are some of the best for the money ratchets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back