how to know which group oil belongs to?ig

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

there are a lot of oils in the market and a lot of blabla's on their labels. basically, how would a consumer know if a particular oil is group i, ii, iii, iv, or v? these groups aren't mentioned on the packagings

While there are tell-tale signs on the passings (approval) of various different tests and standards such as JASO valve train tests, various GM, Ford, MB, VW, and others as far as certain specifications concerned (don't forget the basic API /ILSAC ratings), a bit of deeper searching on BITOG would usually reveal something to you (and you have to keep on reading about it).

That being said, however, certain Asian countries, their domestic "blend" of oil may not have passed any/all of the aforementioned rigid testings and my strong suspicion (yes, I was in Asian countries before) is that some of these so-called approval ratings may be even fake to begin with, with only roughly Gp1 with lots of viscosity improvers and lousy add packs just to satisfy their rather price-conscious local markets. Also: liability maybe a concern in some of these Asian countries for unlike NA or many other industrialised countries, they bear minimal to no liabilities if mechanical failures due to poorly blended motor oil.

Q.

hint: look for imported oils from European, Japanese, NAmericans and you should be home-free.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
whats needed is a simple list of common oils sold in walmart auto zone advance etc etc. showing what group they are in

Ed:

The original OP is in the Philippines, where the market, product availablity, etc. are different than us here in North America.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
whats needed is a simple list of common oils sold in walmart auto zone advance etc etc. showing what group they are in

Ed:

The original OP is in the Philippines, where the market, product availablity, etc. are different than us here in North America.

Q.

yup, i am fully aware of that. that's why i needed help in how to determine from which group a particular oil belongs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back