How to install new Air vent on 1997 GMC Sierra?

So I have a near mint 1997 GMC Sierra. A friend of mine hit the far right side plastic air vent with his knee and broke the air flow tab off. I found a good condition one and what to remove the old broken one and install this new one. This happened years ago and I changed it out but cant remember how I did it. All I remember was I did not have to take the dash apart or anything like this. Any ideas how to do this with out cracking the dash or plastic parts? I think these little teeth hold it in place? Here are a few pictures and the truck itself:
G30aRQ6.jpg

OfFOfQH.jpg

oaMRXDW.jpg

9EW6si0.jpg

Take a plastic upholstery/trim tool and follow where the taps are on the donor unit and gently pry there on the one you want to release.

Reactions: JC1
What he said. a wide trim removal tool inserted at the top to release the tabs, swing the top out and lift it off the bottom tabs. I would put painters tape across the gaps just in case since that trucks so nice. On second thought maybe you should just get rid of the truck, I know a guy ;)

What he said. a wide trim removal tool inserted at the top to release the tabs, swing the top out and lift it off the bottom tabs. I would put painters tape across the gaps just in case since that trucks so nice. On second thought maybe you should just get rid of the truck, I know a guy ;)
When you say "painters tape across the gaps", what exactly are you saying? Thanks!

The space at the top between the vent and the dashboard. Since you will have to insert the trim tool between those 2 surfaces in order to push the tabs down to release it, I would take some tape and tuck it into that gap so that the trim tool wont mar the dash surface (since the vent is being removed you wouldnt really care about it)
It doesnt take a lot to release the tabs on the vent, I am just being cautious since its a nice truck

Bust the whole center part out of the old vent, then also break out the frame. That way you never pry on the dash trying to remove a piece you're going to throw away anyway.

Thanks gentlemen! I'll track down a trim tool. Any specific one to use and place to buy?

hey Chris.. Harbor freight has a really nice set that I used on my scion tc to remove some trim panels, they're made of nylon plastic. Didn't mar anything.. here's a link for the set I used

Reactions: JC1
I've had to replace a couple on both of my 98's over the years. A lot of times you can just press down hard at the top of the vent and pull out at the same time and they will come out. You can also use a plastic trim tool or scraper between the vent and the dash at the top.

Back