How to install bucking spikes on chainsaw

For starters i know exactly how to install the spike. My chainsaw currently does not have any spikes on it. I bought an oem spike to install as its nice to have the bumper protection and aid in pivoting. My confusion comes from looking at the parts diagram. Right now there is a metal plate that goes on then the bar goes on then the side cover goes on. In the parts diagram it shows the spike and the metal plate going on together but i think the spike goes in place of the metal plate as the spike has its own metal plate as part of it. Sorry i can’t describe it better. Here is the picture so you can see. Its number 5 and number 6 in the picture. I currently have number 6 on the saw and I’m sure i remove number 6 and replace it with number 5 and not stack 5 and 6. What do y’all think?
IMG_2680.jpeg

No, you do not stack them. Looking at my saws, the bar is between the plates. The new spiked plate should go closer to the engine and there should be one # 6,on the outside of the bar.. Usually the plates have some curvature to them to accomodate the bar. Some saws use one plate, some have two. I have no idea what saw you have.

Last edited:
Ok, i didn’t think they got stacked as parts 5 and 6 are identical just with one having teeth on it. Both have the proper cutout to allow oil to the chain.

"Exploded" drawings such as this one are intended only to assist in identifying orderable parts. They are not a reference for how to assemble the machine. The owner's and or maintenance manuals should be consulted.

There needs to be something solid on the outside of part 6 if it is installed on the outside of the bar, otherwise oil will escape through the slot instead of going up through the bar to the chain rail.

It looks like 5 and 6 are either/or.

I have over 25 powersaws. What saw is this? Bucking spikes typically mount to the chassis and the clutch cover.
Even my Chinese clone saw has it's spike screwed into the front of the chassis on the oil tank.

Back