How to I.D. an Insurance for a Claim

By the way, I do understand where you are coming from as there are many "dumb" insurance agents out there!
No, it's not that they're dumb (or smart). Their job is writing policies and being the face of the insurance company. My agent - an independent agent, so he handles multiple insurance companies - who I respect and trust very much will tell you "I am not a claims adjuster, there's too many intricacies involved, etc, etc and I don't want to give you bad information even if it's not intentional".

The other guy’s policy probably lapsed and the company has to do their due diligence before saying the policy is lapsed. They’ll send him a reservation of rights letter that lets them investigate further. Or, it’s a fake insurance card which isn’t out of the question either. There are avenues to get the info but not accessible to the general public. File through your insurance and h they’ll send the subrogation demand to the person if they can’t find insurance for him. It’s unlikely they’ll recover anything but they’ll try.

I was involved in a hit and run where some witnesses got the license plate and I got their contact info that was forwarded to my insurance company. My insurance gave up on trying to identify the guilty party. But at least in California there's mandatory uninsured motorist coverage even if the policy doesn't have comprehensive and they covered the payment. The damage was cosmetic and I accepted a check in lieu of repair rather than fix it up.

Have your dad use his own insurance . Initially you pay deductible. They will chase the other party insurance to get paid and this does not raise your rates.

Also if the other party does not have valid insurance they have a special part of policy for uninsured your rate does not go up.

Once they sort fault and if other party insurance or uninsured kicks in you don’t pay a deductible.

Don’t listen to people who say it will raise your rates using your company. It does not if not his fault.

Your post is full of misinformation and I will just let it go at that.
Have your dad use his own insurance . Initially you pay deductible. They will chase the other party insurance to get paid and this does not raise your rates.

Also if the other party does not have valid insurance they have a special part of policy for uninsured your rate does not go up.

Once they sort fault and if other party insurance or uninsured kicks in you don’t pay a deductible.

Don’t listen to people who say it will raise your rates using your company. It does not if not his fault.
r

Im surprised fake insurance cards are still a thing, I thought the electronica reporting of policies/lapse/cancel to DMVs was at the very least widespread...

It should have been a fairly simple matter for the police to figure out if it was insured and if so who the owner is, are you sure the driver was the owner/insured?

There are tools available to insurance companies to help track stuff like this Accurint (lexis), ADD, ISO Match and so forth...

Your post is full of misinformation and I will just let it go at that.

r

I wrote the subrogation software used my a MA and another New England based major car insurance company . I also had the same experience when I got rear ended by a hit and run who left imprint of plate . Insurance did exactly what you state.

My rates are exact same in last 15 years. Under $900 two vehicles .

As many on here know, there are deadbeats who may use fake insurance cards or buy insurance for 30-60 days, get the 6 or 12 month proof of insurance card and then stop making premium payments. It almost always pays to carry your own uninsured/underinsured coverage.

As many on here know, there are deadbeats who may use fake insurance cards or buy insurance for 30-60 days, get the 6 or 12 month proof of insurance card and then stop making premium payments. It almost always pays to carry your own uninsured/underinsured coverage.
NH does not require insurance so the $20/vehicle/yesr it costs is so worth it. I have had to use it twice with minor hits. First person promised to pay me never did so called insurance and the 2nd person would not give me cash right after accident without an estimate so I called my insurance.

The best part is if you are in at fault accident and have no insurance and cannot pay insurance company collecting they gst forced into buying it at usury rates. I got a nasty text from one of my hits who did not pay that she was going to get charged $200/month to insure her old car.

NH does not require insurance so the $20/vehicle/yesr it costs is so worth it. I have had to use it twice with minor hits. First person promised to pay me never did so called insurance and the 2nd person would not give me cash right after accident without an estimate so I called my insurance.

The best part is if you are in at fault accident and have no insurance and cannot pay insurance company collecting they gst forced into buying it at usury rates. I got a nasty text from one of my hits who did not pay that she was going to get charged $200/month to insure her old car.
That's the issue. Insurance varies from state to state and even from company to company insurance threads on here are pretty much useless. Sounds like that situation you cited is a positive in the state you live.

It always pays to get a copy of the accident report for your own records . I was able to do it online . The insurance companies are named on the report .

That's the issue. Insurance varies from state to state and even from company to company insurance threads on here are pretty much useless. Sounds like that situation you cited is a positive in the state you live.
Curious why you would not use your own insurance company to do this: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subrogation.asp

Unless you had lots of free time or don’t put much value your own time?

My wife before marriage used it in parked car accident and also the other at fault(DUI) insured to both offer a totaled Civic. The surrogated claim was $1000 higher for payout and end result is other insurer was low balling her. Her rates stayed the same . This was in TX not New England .

Back